Solar / Wind generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar / Wind generators?

Anybody mess with this stuff? I've been interested in it for a while but never got further than just being interested.

I've got a 60' antenna mast outside for internet antenna. Wondered about putting a wind turbine on that - should be high enough above the tree-line to get into whatever wind we have.

Wouldn't mind putting some solar collectors on the garage/barn/house roof.

How about a combo solar/wind? Either tied into the grid or off grid.

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

I estimate for a tie-in with both solar and turbine to be completely self-sustaining, it'll be roughly $15-16K.

Comment

My dad is looking into getting a windmill for the lake so that when he retires it will be paid off and producing elec for the house an the county buys any extra if there is any
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
        My dad is looking into getting a windmill for the lake so that when he retires it will be paid off and producing elec for the house an the county buys any extra if there is any
        That's what the tie-in set up do. They actually spin the meters backwards. Cool stuff.

Comment

<$20k? How many kwh are you planning on running? Double check with your electric company, because Tx doesn't require them to buy any surplus back. Just a credit towards future purchases.

Comment

Bard, what's up, bro?!

The above set-up comes with 3 blades and one panel. It is designed to support 800kw/h. Of course, there will be up and down days. Just the kit alone is $14,995. No assembly or installation.

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
              <$20k? How many kwh are you planning on running? Double check with your electric company, because Tx doesn't require them to buy any surplus back. Just a credit towards future purchases.
              x2... I have read in a couple places (couldnt quote them) but they electrical company will NOT send you a check if you actually managed to produce more then you consume. They are not obligated to buy the electricity from you.

Comment

Right. I think it is just credited. It'll actually show (-$XX.XX) on your bill or something.

Comment

At this point, I would not bother much with solar. The ROI seems much higher on wind turbines then solar, plus hail and so forth would make me paranoid.

If I ever live in a place that allows me to put one up, I'm probably going to do it. As of a year ago, my best estimate on ROI was 7-10 years to break even.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    At this point, I would not bother much with solar. The ROI seems much higher on wind turbines then solar, plus hail and so forth would make me paranoid.

If I ever live in a place that allows me to put one up, I'm probably going to do it. As of a year ago, my best estimate on ROI was 7-10 years to break even.
                    It's also going to depend on power requirements for each home. Not every home will require the same amount of power thus effecting the ROI for each individual setup. The more power requirement there is the faster the ROI will potentially be.

Btw, solar panel technology has advanced a bit over the years in case you haven't researched it. Conventional silicon solar cell technologies is not the only gave in town anymore, although they do have a proven track record and are still popular for a cheaper panel option. These days all the big name manufacturing companies give you a warranty on the panels as well, as much as 25 years for power performance and workmanship.

As far as being paranoid about hail, there is a risk in everything, including a wind turbine. Who's to say a tornado doesn't blow through, rip it out of the ground, and carry it away? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are more tornado's in north Texas than there are hail storms per year. Just food for thought.

I believe there is also tax breaks for people with solar panels, or wind turbines. Can't remember what it is called, but my FIL gets it for his solar panel setup when he files his taxes every year.

Comment

You can get different breaks for both solar and wind. It doubles up or something like that for the package above.

Solar has come a long way. Check out "thin film solar." you can basically get it fitted to your exact roof size and is getting cheaper all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

But Obama said that the Chinese are investing in solar panel technology and that Americans should be investing in this same green energy. LOL. The Chinese are investing in it to sell to the dumb eco-Americans that want green energy.

Comment

Eventually when I buy land and build a house I plan on doing solar and/or wind. With the wind turbines it makes a big difference where you are at and where the wind blows the most. You can pay to have a wind survey done, I think most turbine companies offer them, and they come out and see exactly where the turbine will be most efficient, and how tall it should be. Other buildings, trees, etc make a lot of difference. Don't know what the surveys cost but they are supposed to help the turbine be as efficient as possible. Check out the vertical turbines they have now, instead of the propellar type; not sure of the cost / performance difference, though.

http://www.solarpowerwindenergy.org/...wind-turbines/
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Sup Denny, lol. The metroplex isn't the best place in the world for wind, but it is pretty good for solar. I know a guy at work that spent ~$30k for a 1.8kw turbine (if I remember correctly) about 5 years ago. He expected to produce ~250kwh a month based on wind maps, unit specs, dealer recs, etc. Reality was only about 30kwh a month. Big disappointment. If we ever get any real incentives to invest in solar then it will take off and might actually be worth it. Until then you should concentrate on reducing your usage.

Comment

My neighbor has solar panels on his house and he also has a wind generator hooked up as well so when the wind is blowing its charging that way also.

When its windy as Fuck I swear that dam propeller is going to come off and hit the house it whistles and whines in the wind.

Annoying As hell lol but im sure its Great for his pocket book.

Comment

Working...
                              X