Lifting as you know it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting as you know it....

Just curious as to how most of you lift .Would love a detailed response and a picture maybe some lifting experience #'s and stats.

Describe yourself the best you can using 1,2, or 3

#1.Throw the weight around, as much as you can as hard as you can, getting to the # predetermined in your head. so for a set of 8-12 you are done in 30 seconds or less and never do more than the 12-10-8

#2. Flex through each movement and go for time rather than reps not caring about the weight on the bar and going to failure . Set of 8-12 you are done in about 60 seconds -75 seconds.

#3. Max numbers all the time without ever maxing out and your weights haven't changed in years. With no real formula, go in the gym and if it looks good do it.

None of the above.

Comment

You must think were all single dimensional workout noobs...

Comment

I don't think it's possible to fit in those boxes.
        If you're a 1, then you probably have a log on paper or in your head to keep track of the reps and weight, and anyone that strict is also going to be the same way on form, not throwing weight around. They will probably also be doing more than only 3 sets and changing things up every month or 2.

If you're a 2 and you're super concerned about movement quality, you've been educated along the way to learning said form and movement and know not to burn out each set and you are, without a doubt, going to be focused on the weight you're working with to get stronger, biger, leaner, faster...what ever your goal. I also don't know anyone who lifts X weight for X time, but who cares how many...then how do you know if you're progressing? I don't get it.

I don't even understand what you're describing for 3..."max numbers" means what? Is this supposed to be the person without a plan who just does the same thing over and over cause he read it in Flex or M&F 10yrs ago?? That's the only reason I can think that the weights wouldn't have changed in years.

I guess I'm just confused. What is it you're asking? What is YOUR goal for this thread? Are you looking for a new/alternate plan? Do YOU fit in one of those boxes? If you do, then you're in the right place! We'll fix you up! Post those details you're asking about so we know how to help...

-Jonny
        2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
        '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Probably searching for a subtle way to barg about numbers or something like that. That's is just the pessimist in me though. I'm all fired up from nick drama. He could also have perfectly pure intentions.

Comment

#2 would most likely describe me. I take my time during reps. It's about how long the muscles are activated, not how many reps you can do. I don't care how much weight I can lift as long as I look good IMO. Great thing is that I'm my harshest critic.

EDIT: Bobby...you're a faggot.

Are you planning on going to the reunion next year?
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Well I am honestly looking at what some knowledgeable people are doing. I am strong and know how to get stronger, I am a decent size but just not roided out look. I am between 5'10'' and 5'11'' and weigh around 210, but usually get told I look like I am 180. I weigh 210 and want to look 210. Or if I weighed 180 I would want to be as lean as possible and get mistaken for 210. I only put those 3 choices because I have been watching people at the gym I work out and most fall into this category, and for the most part they look the same as they did a year ago. Just trying to get a new perspective. I have lots of knowledge but as a trainer I get burned out on telling others how to do things all day, by the time it is me time I usually go lighter than I should and 2nd guess myself. I also am transitioning from playing football for now to going for more of a bodybuilding physique . I know there is alot of knowledge here and just getting some new fresh ideas on what to do that may motivate me a little more.

Reunion- Josh probably not, there is a reunion daily on facebook. It is sort of pointless to me. It may be interesting, just to revisit and see how people have truly changed though.

edit: for me I usually go circuit and do tons of different types of lifts as well as constantly change the workouts that I am doing. I do heavy stuff , light and controlled, plyos, sprints, etc. The whole nine. Just looking for someones program to cheat off of, if that makes any sense.

Comment

I you want the body builder physique you know the drill. Prohormones or the real deal. I think Greyhorse has a plethora of knowledge on the subject.

My workout type has been to maintain strength on chest and legs, increase shoulder and arm definition and size. This is through heavy lifting to failure couPled with supersets or drop sets. As well as a newly implemented running program. There's alot more than that but I don't care to elaborate right now

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  I you want the body builder physique you know the drill. Prohormones or the real deal.
                  LOL, not always true, but you are 99.9% right on the money.

It can be done with just hard work alone, but wayyyyyyyy harder and longer to achieve those goals.

Comment

Agree to disagree. I'm not saying doing steroids or cheating with any hormone is bad, it's just the only way to truly look like a body builder. Wellaybe I should rephrase and say modern day body builder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Agree to disagree. I'm not saying doing steroids or cheating with any hormone is bad, it's just the only way to truly look like a body builder. Wellaybe I should rephrase and say modern day body builder.
                      You win!

But a lot of that depends on the weight class too.

Comment

Well, if you believe the StrongLifts 5x5 system, the only way to get true body builder size is go heavy, put on the size and then chizzle it down, but according to Mehdi, the author, you can do it without drugs or supplements and training 3 times a week. As always, I believe, you can't call "BS" with any sort of authority behind it, till you've tried it. I don't want to look like a body builder, deadlift 700lbs or do squats 3 times a week, but it does look interesting...

-Jonny
                        2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                        '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
                          Well, if you believe the StrongLifts 5x5 system, the only way to get true body builder size is go heavy, put on the size and then chizzle it down, but according to Mehdi, the author, you can do it without drugs or supplements and training 3 times a week. As always, I believe, you can't call "BS" with any sort of authority behind it, till you've tried it. I don't want to look like a body builder, deadlift 700lbs or do squats 3 times a week, but it does look interesting...

-Jonny
                          Or...if you're not a retard, you'll realize the only way to get true body builder size is through supplements and steroids. Lots of them.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                          X