plumbing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumbing question

I just got done with my home inspection and it needs an outside faucet and a kitchen faucet. How difficult are these items to replace or do we have a plumber on here that does side work?
    Originally posted by Baron
    If I dissagree with you, it is because you are wrong.

Kitchen faucet is easy if you water will shut off. The old plunger style gate valves SUCK and over time they wont stop the water when they are shut off. In that case, you need to shut of the water to the house and change the valve. Thats pretty simple using a new compression style ball valve. Make sure you get a 1/4 turn ball valve.

The outside faucet will probably have to be sweat on. Thats hoping that there is enough pipe sticking out to cut the old one off and attach to it. Id hire a plumber for this.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      Kitchen faucet is easy if you water will shut off. The old plunger style gate valves SUCK and over time they wont stop the water when they are shut off. In that case, you need to shut of the water to the house and change the valve. Thats pretty simple using a new compression style ball valve. Make sure you get a 1/4 turn ball valve.

The outside faucet will probably have to be sweat on. Thats hoping that there is enough pipe sticking out to cut the old one off and attach to it. Id hire a plumber for this.
      the house is built in 99 would that tell you which style valve is probaly down there?

Yeah the outside faucet is flush on the outside of the house.

Comment

Do not replace with cheap plastic shit. We found out our house was full of it when I replaced the kitchen sink and the handle just turned free. The shaft that twisted the ball was cheap plastic and broken.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

The kitchen faucet will be easy, you will probably have two points to shut the water off. First is at the meter, it takes a tool that you can buy at Lowes/H.D. for less than $20, second will be somewhere near where the water enters your home. Typically on the exterior wall of the hot water heater. Outside faucets can be easy or really difficult, only way to know is to put a pipe wrench on it and try to loosen it. If it comes out and has threads, then it will cost you less than $50 and only take 30 mins of your time.

Best way to fix it is to measure off of a window or door where the faucet is located, cut the drywall and see how it is connected. Either way this shouldn't be a deal breaker if you like the home, just negotiate the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by 90vert View Post
            The kitchen faucet will be easy, you will probably have two points to shut the water off. First is at the meter, it takes a tool that you can buy at Lowes/H.D. for less than $20, second will be somewhere near where the water enters your home. Typically on the exterior wall of the hot water heater. Outside faucets can be easy or really difficult, only way to know is to put a pipe wrench on it and try to loosen it. If it comes out and has threads, then it will cost you less than $50 and only take 30 mins of your time.

Best way to fix it is to measure off of a window or door where the faucet is located, cut the drywall and see how it is connected. Either way this shouldn't be a deal breaker if you like the home, just negotiate the repair.

I guess I did not read that he didn't own the house YET. Make the seller fix them and remove yourself from the headache.

We found out AFTER our inspection that half the valves in our house were broken and I had to fix (pay to) out of pocket. The home inspector was a joke. Had I been home I would have gone to him for a refund on his inspection. At least a pro rate.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
              I guess I did not read that he didn't own the house YET. Make the seller fix them and remove yourself from the headache.

We found out AFTER our inspection that half the valves in our house were broken and I had to fix (pay to) out of pocket. The home inspector was a joke. Had I been home I would have gone to him for a refund on his inspection. At least a pro rate.
              I'm just assuming that if he paid for an inspection that he his buying a home. I may be completely off base and like you I wish I would've never hired an inspector.

Comment

Originally posted by ma67cpe View Post
                the house is built in 99 would that tell you which style valve is probaly down there?

Yeah the outside faucet is flush on the outside of the house.
                The valves are probably crappy rubber stopper gate valves. They are the cheapest things out there and rough in plumbers love them. Its easy enough to replace if you need to.

If you dont own the house, make the home owner pay for the repairs. Its probably $150 or so

Comment

The valves are probably crappy rubber stopper gate valves. They are the cheapest things out there and rough in plumbers love them. Its easy enough to replace if you need to.

If you dont own the house, make the home owner pay for the repairs. Its probably $150 or so
                  All of ours are the cheap contractor grade. I am just glad that all the bibs on the outside of the house have a lot of material sticking out of the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post

I am buying the home but it is a foreclosure and sold as is. It didnt need a lot though. It is a very well built home just had a couple faucets leaking and a couple other little things. Thanks for the info when I move in Ill get in there and check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ma67cpe View Post
                      I am buying the home but it is a foreclosure and sold as is. It didnt need a lot though. It is a very well built home just had a couple faucets leaking and a couple other little things. Thanks for the info when I move in Ill get in there and check it out.
                      If you are getting it cheap, it's worth it. If you need help with the work, give me a shout. I can help you with the kitchen side. The hose bib if there is enough pipe sticking out.

When you replace either valve, make sure you shut off the water at the street. You can buy the big T handle tool of just use a wrench.

Comment

If you are getting it cheap, it's worth it. If you need help with the work, give me a shout. I can help you with the kitchen side. The hose bib if there is enough pipe sticking out.

When you replace either valve, make sure you shut off the water at the street. You can buy the big T handle tool of just use a wrench.
                        Cool man thanks i will give you a shout.

Comment

Working...
                        X