SlowYellow and other XL650 Experts, Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SlowYellow and other XL650 Experts, Questions

I am loading my first bullets with the xl650.

First the primers would not seat. Then I discovered that the load cartridge case shute bracket was stopping the travel of the lever so I took it off and that worked much better but the primers are not COMPLETELY flush. Should they be as Flush as a factory loaded cartridge? Btw I am pushing hard so it is not for lack of pressure.

How many would you load before firing some to make sure things are not messed up. I have loaded 5 so far and I am going to make sure the primer issue is not a real problem before I load any more....

Did you get Dillon's special handle or are you using the ball handle that came with it? I am using the ball handle. Does it really make a difference?

FYI my finished cartridges all weigh within a gr or so of each other....

Thanks,
    Mike
    2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
    2011 Harley Davidson F150
    2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

What are you loading? And are you sure you're using the right primers? Like small rifle, small handgun? Not large or magnum? I only ask because the other day a guy that worked at Cabelas tried to give me small handgun magnum the other day and said they'd work. Which they wouldn't.

Also all mine seat flush or maybe just a little deeper. If they pop out a little I push them in more. If it's a hardware problem I couldn't tell you, but I doubt a handle will fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
      I am loading my first bullets with the xl650.

First the primers would not seat. Then I discovered that the load cartridge case shute bracket was stopping the travel of the lever so I took it off and that worked much better but the primers are not COMPLETELY flush. Should they be as Flush as a factory loaded cartridge? Btw I am pushing hard so it is not for lack of pressure.

How many would you load before firing some to make sure things are not messed up. I have loaded 5 so far and I am going to make sure the primer issue is not a real problem before I load any more....

Did you get Dillon's special handle or are you using the ball handle that came with it? I am using the ball handle. Does it really make a difference?

FYI my finished cartridges all weigh within a gr or so of each other....

Thanks,
      Mike
      First make sure you don't have crimped primer pockets. You really have to lay into the primers to get them to seat well in rifle cartridges sometimes, and I mean really bang that lever home, don't worry it isn't going to go off. Pistol cartridges are pretty easy, only sometimes larger primer cases (like .45 and .44) take some effort to seat. You don't want primers seating above the head, you can do it and get away with it, but I wouldn't do it if you can avoid it. The ball bearing lever with the spinning handle will make long reloads much easier on you, but unless you're doing 1k+ at a time, you probably don't need it. It's just a comfort thing. I got blisters from the ball handle on long reloading spells. Measuring loaded cartridges isn't going to ever really tell you anything, empty new brass will weigh grains apart even though they are almost identical in every measurement. When loading match ammo I weigh all my cases and bin each one in different weights, and then use all the same weighted cases (after sizing and trimming) as an example.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks guys.

The question about the handle was meant to stand alone. I did not think the handle was causing the problem.

I did think of one thing. I am loading .45ACP so I did not lube the cases, could that cause what I am seeing? I have heard that lubing cases is optional on pistol cases....

I am using new brass, how would I know if I have crimped primer pockets? They look like normal pockets to me. I did measure with my caliper and there is only one 1000th of an inch or so more depth in the pocket than the width of the primer....

Comment

Thanks guys.

The question about the handle was meant to stand alone. I did not think the handle was causing the problem.

I did think of one thing. I am loading .45ACP so I did not lube the cases, could that cause what I am seeing? I have heard that lubing cases is optional on pistol cases....

I am using new brass, how would I know if I have crimped primer pockets? They look like normal pockets to me. I did measure with my caliper and there is only one 1000th of an inch or so more depth in the pocket than the width of the primer....
          I don't lube pistol cases either. So I don't think that would be the problem especially if it's new brass? And where the primer goes you'll see like notches. They don't sound crimped. I was told primers wouldn't go in if they're crimped and normally they're crimped after the primer.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I know you didn't think the handle was an issue, I was just answering your question. I personally think you might need to seat them harder. It can also be your primers, some cups are harder than others and don't conform as easy.

Now that I'm on my PC I'll elaborate. I use a set of full carbine Redding dies on my dillon, absolutely no lube at all required. However, I still lube my cases - primarily because when I'm reloading 1000-2000 cases, it keeps me from getting worn out, and it's easier on my dies (even though they are literally indestructible). I do it for comfort and ease of pull. What kind of primers are you using exactly? Like I mentioned earlier, some primers have harder cups than others, if you're using a primer that has a thick or harder cup, it will be less likely to seat as deep compared to a thinner or softer cup primer. When I get the hard primers that dont like to seat, I make them seat with man force to the extreme! My comment about crimped primers deals with .223 cases - you never specified what cases you were reloading, so I had no idea.
            Last edited by CJ; 04-24-2011, 07:44 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Spoke to the folks at Dillon today and I think we have it figured out most of the problem. Apparently the shell plate was not as tight as it should be. This allowed the case to go up away from the rod that was pushing the primer in and escape the pressure. I ran the ones I made back thru with the shell plate tighter and it is working much better. I still think there is a tiny amount sticking out but if they had been this close at first I don't think I would have noticed so I am probably just seeing spooks..... Looking at the rod that pushes in the primer it comes up more than far enough to seat the primer so it is simply lack of elbow grease or lack of space that is keeping them from being seated all the way.

Originally I did not realize that I installed the chute for the completed cartridges and I must have put it in without making sure if cleared the platform because I bent the crap out of it trying to seat primers and was not able to bend it back. Thank heaven for the no BS warranty from Dillon so another one is on the way even tho it was my mistake!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!

New stupid question: Do you ever put the powder back in the original container or just leave it in the powder measure?

Comment

New stupid question: Do you ever put the powder back in the original container or just leave it in the powder measure?
                I always put it back for a couple reasons; safety for one, the container is safer and also it is marked in the container, don't want to have to guess what was left in the measure when you use several different powders.....

Comment

Spoke to the folks at Dillon today and I think we have it figured out most of the problem. Apparently the shell plate was not as tight as it should be. This allowed the case to go up away from the rod that was pushing the primer in and escape the pressure. I ran the ones I made back thru with the shell plate tighter and it is working much better. I still think there is a tiny amount sticking out but if they had been this close at first I don't think I would have noticed so I am probably just seeing spooks..... Looking at the rod that pushes in the primer it comes up more than far enough to seat the primer so it is simply lack of elbow grease or lack of space that is keeping them from being seated all the way.

Originally I did not realize that I installed the chute for the completed cartridges and I must have put it in without making sure if cleared the platform because I bent the crap out of it trying to seat primers and was not able to bend it back. Thank heaven for the no BS warranty from Dillon so another one is on the way even tho it was my mistake!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this post. I've been gone for a little bit. But anyways, I'm glad that you got it working. I really love my 650. And it's funny about the completed cartridge chute, because I did the exact same thing, except I got it bent back.

And on another note, I got the upgraded handle, and I like it a lot. I never used the ball type, but I would assume like CJ said that you could get blisters from it. Have fun reloading!
                  04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                  There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
                    Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this post. I've been gone for a little bit. But anyways, I'm glad that you got it working. I really love my 650. And it's funny about the completed cartridge chute, because I did the exact same thing, except I got it bent back.

And on another note, I got the upgraded handle, and I like it a lot. I never used the ball type, but I would assume like CJ said that you could get blisters from it. Have fun reloading!
                    I'll have to give that upgraded handle a shot on my SDB. I love my Dillon and I had the same primer feed issues except sometimes mine would flip upside-down or go in sideways. It was a combination of the shellplate and the timing for the primer carrier.

I just have a turret press for my rifle reloading. I'll end up getting a RL550 or XL650 someday when I have more rifles to feed

Comment

Working...
                    X