Building a deck. Choice of wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a deck. Choice of wood?

This deck isn't very large but I am confused in the choice of wood. Treated seems like it makes the most sense but doesn't it tend to warp more? I heard you can't stain it?

BTW, thinking about a coy pond too, maybe at one corner. (The deck is only going to be a foot off the ground) Any experience with coy ponds or are they another PITA thing to keep up?

I don't know if they still make it, but look into the "plastic wood" stuff they make. I don't have any experience with it but I bet upkeep would be nonexistent.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      I don't know if they still make it, but look into the "plastic wood" stuff they make. I don't have any experience with it but I bet upkeep would be nonexistent.
      That's become more and more popular over the years, and yes they still make it.

Also, you can stain treated lumber. The thing you probably want to keep in mind is that staining it will make it hotter, as in absorb more of the sun's energy where as clear coating it will not.

Edit: Just remembered a friend of mine that has a Koi pond. He has mentioned numerous times that it is a pain in the ass. Not too mention he normally loses several fish through the winter months. Oh, and I hope you like snakes, because these little ponds seem to be a natural environment for them. I'm sure it varies per area, so I would let the snake thing completely draw you away.
      Last edited by Lone Sailor; 04-25-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
        That's become more and more popular over the years, and yes they still make it.

Also, you can stain treated lumber. The thing you probably want to keep in mind is that staining it will make it hotter, as in absorb more of the sun's energy where as clear coating it will not.

Edit: Just remembered a friend of mine that has a Koi pond. He has mentioned numerous times that it is a pain in the ass. Not too mention he normally loses several fish through the winter months. Oh, and I hope you like snakes, because these little ponds seem to be a natural environment for them. I'm sure it varies per area, so I would let the snake thing completely draw you away.
        X2 on the heat. The sun did way more damage to my deck at my last house than anything else. Go with treated wood or a synthetic.

Comment

redwood ftw
          first class white trash

Comment

Working...
          X