Dieseling pretty bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieseling pretty bad

I feel like I've asked this before, but now that I'm getting to drive the truck, the dieseling has me all pissed off.

It's a fresh motor, '97 351, aluminum heads, E-cam, Ebrock manifold & carb.

I have the timing set around 12* with the vacuum advance disconnected.

I have the fuel pressure set at 6psi

The motor runs cool, mechanical gauge never gets over 195.

Should I run less timing? I'm running the carb 2 or 3 steps leaner than stock (it was leaving the plugs black, smelling wicked rich) via metering rods, step-up springs & jets. I feel like it's the low rpm motoring that's causing the problem, it's just a cruiser, so perhaps I should go even leaner.

Everything on the motor/ignition is new, or less than 200 miles.

Any hints/tips/suggestions?

I have a full tank of 87... perhaps I should add an octane booster to this tank & never put anything less than '93 in again?

Shaun T, you want to drop by the house again?
    Last edited by barronj; 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

What is dieseling?

Comment

what are the specs on the block and heads as far as compression and such?

Im no carb guy buy 12 degrees does not sound like much.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
        What is dieseling?
        run-on after the ignition is cut.

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        what are the specs on the block and heads as far as compression and such?

Im no carb guy buy 12 degrees does not sound like much.
        Compression on the '97 351 is anywhere from 8.5 - 8.8:1, depending on the source, and I'm assuming a 62cc head or larger. The heads were 58cc, milled down .0010 b/c of some deck issues.
        Last edited by barronj; 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM.
        Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Sounds like you could have some carbon build up in the combustion chamber. This retains heat and causes the motor to keep running without ignition.

Get the motor up to running temperature.
          Remove your air cleaner.
          Next slowly trickle seafoam or berrymans' b12 down the carb. You will have to work the throttle a little in order to keep it running.

I like to choke the engine with seaoam when I get close to the end of the can. This means dumping it in the carb without working the throttle. Let it sit for a little bit, then crank it up.

It will smoke like hell!! Just rev on it or shag it down the road and it will clear up.

This will remove a lot of the carbon and hopefully fix your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
            Sounds like you could have some carbon build up in the combustion chamber. This retains heat and causes the motor to keep running without ignition.

Get the motor up to running temperature.
            Remove your air cleaner.
            Next slowly trickle seafoam or berrymans' b12 down the carb. You will have to work the throttle a little in order to keep it running.

I like to choke the engine with seaoam when I get close to the end of the can. This means dumping it in the carb without working the throttle. Let it sit for a little bit, then crank it up.

It will smoke like hell!! Just rev on it or shag it down the road and it will clear up.

This will remove a lot of the carbon and hopefully fix your situation.
            If it would have carbon build up as a result of running rich for a few miles, otherwise they're new heads.

I'll try it though.

Comment

How many miles?

Comment

I had a SBC that did that all the time. Similar setup. I never could get the edelbrock carb right and the instant I switched to a holley the problem was solved.
                With the eldebrock carb I had to run a 44oz cup of hot water thru the engine while at about 3500 rpm once every couple of weeks.

Comment

Water is cheaper. Steam does a helluva job cleanign stuff out. Just be real careful not to dump the cup in too fast.

Comment

Edelbrock carbs are shit IMO
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                      Water is cheaper. Steam does a helluva job cleanign stuff out. Just be real careful not to dump the cup in too fast.
                      44oz of HOT water over about a 2 min period of time. Pour a little in, wait for the engine to recover. It will bog pretty bad. Don't do it at idle or you may hydrolic the engine.

Comment

Eldebrock carbs are early 60's Carter AFB's under a new name, junk! Have you checked the float level? If it is too high that would explain some of your problems. It also would be nice if you had an idle fuel cut-off solenoid.

Comment

What's the best holley carb for the application?

Fuck that pretty e-junk carb.

Comment

whats the best fuel injected carbon cleaner? sea foam? do you add it to the fuel or can you hook a can up to the fuel rail schrader? gonna start doing this on a regular basis to my 4V once i get it going again

Comment

Ive heard of alternator feedback or something of that sort causing problems
                              81 LX
                              82 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X