Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one use one of these patio stone casts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one use one of these patio stone casts?

I have one of those casts that you poor cement and it makes a 24 x 24" section of what looks like a group of cobblestone. Has anyone worked with this before? I am thinking of doing this on top of the flat concrete patio pad I have. I know I need to add some kind of tint to the cement to get some natural stone appearance.

I would be interested in how this turns out?

I was thinking about putting down slate on the patio outside, 15x15 patio.

Comment

I have a buddy who just did this. His turned out great. But it was alot of work he said. He had to bring in a ton of Paver sand & Verberator to get it all packed down. He used the broken stone & with between the stones like you said with concrete. It came out really nice. Just be preparred to prep that area really well for the stones to lay out level. Just a idea for you

Last edited by SEB; 12-20-2011, 06:17 AM.
      GOD BLESS TEXAS
      August Landscaping
      214-779-7278
      Seb's high class.
      He'll mow your grass.
      He'll kick your ass.
      And while his kidney stones pass,
      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

I thik hes referring to the plastic forms that you pour quikrete into and get the faux stone look. Not true stone work.

Comment

Frank, my parents did their patio with the cast deal; their backyard is huge and the patio area would have been unrighteously expensive to do with real stone. It really turned out great and has held up quite well over the 10 years they've had it. I think they just reglazed it for the first time about 6 months ago. I'll grab a picture in a bit for you.

You definitely need to add some tint to it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
            I thik hes referring to the plastic forms that you pour quikrete into and get the faux stone look. Not true stone work.
            I was giving him another idea for a patio
            GOD BLESS TEXAS
            August Landscaping
            214-779-7278
            Seb's high class.
            He'll mow your grass.
            He'll kick your ass.
            And while his kidney stones pass,
            He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Cool Brad, I'd like to see it. I definitley want to tint the concrete so it looks more natural. Only thing is that I am figuring it would be very time consuming since I would have to wait for each section to set before I could remove the mold and move on to the next. I think I could end up laying down a pallet of pavers instead in a few hours and the weather wouldn't matter one way or another. Since I posted this I am having other ideas.

Comment

Frank,
                As I said above, I am throwing this idea around myself. I priced travertine tile to grout down to the existing concrete? Then I priced slate tile, either 12x12 or 16x16. have you explored this idea?
                It seems to be the cheapest way to overlay an existing patio.

Comment

Comment

Wow, looks good. Where do you get the molds at? I looked at homedepots website but couldnt find them

Comment

Did you see them do it Brad? The surface looks very natural. I was wondering if they used some kind of stamp or how they made the surface pocky like real stone?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        Frank, my parents did their patio with the cast deal; their backyard is huge and the patio area would have been unrighteously expensive to do with real stone. It really turned out great and has held up quite well over the 10 years they've had it. I think they just reglazed it for the first time about 6 months ago. I'll grab a picture in a bit for you.

You definitely need to add some tint to it, though.
                        Is that "over" the existing concrete patio?

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                          I have a buddy who just did this. His turned out great. But it was alot of work he said. He had to bring in a ton of Paver sand & Verberator to get it all packed down. He used the broken stone & with between the stones like you said with concrete. It came out really nice. Just be preparred to prep that area really well for the stones to lay out level. Just a idea for you
                          What lake is that SEB?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                            Wow, looks good. Where do you get the molds at? I looked at homedepots website but couldnt find them
                            One of my dad's buddies does patio work for a living, so we used his equipment to do it.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                            Did you see them do it Brad? The surface looks very natural. I was wondering if they used some kind of stamp or how they made the surface pocky like real stone?
                            Yeah, I was out there. The stamp had that texturing built in; they used 3 or 4 different stamps to make it less repetitive. If you take your time I can't imagine it being terribly difficult, you just have to plan out your stamping and move at a decent pace. I seem to remember the the concrete itself being mixed in that lighter color and then a layer of color was spread on top to get the darker brown accents. After that, it was just a layer of glaze on the top.

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                            Is that "over" the existing concrete patio?
                            Nope. The old patio was tiny and crappy so we tore it up, laid out the wooden forms for the new patio, and poured all new concrete.

Comment

Nope. The old patio was tiny and crappy so we tore it up, laid out the wooden forms for the new patio, and poured all new concrete.
                              So those pics above are of "new concrete" that is stamped and tinted? Or a new concrete with the stone pattern molds from home depot over the concrete?

Frank, my parents did their patio with the cast deal
                              It looks great, I am just confused what method was used? That is the look I want, only darker.

Comment

Working...
                              X