Questions about A/C removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about A/C removal

OK, I've been toying with removing the A/C on my '92 coupe for a ling while now. I've owned the car since June '03 and the A/C has worked for two summers. I'm pretty much used to driving without it and the car is no longer my daily, so I'm thinking about removing it. But I have one main question:

How much do you remove? I figure everything under the hood goes away (the compressor, condensor, dryer, lines, etc.), but what about inside the car? Removing the evaporator core would require ripping open the heater core box (I replaced the evap. core shortly after I bought the car; what a nightmare). What about the control unit in the dash (the knobs), and any duct work? Do you remove any portions of the wiring harness?

Any other thoughts on the topic would be appreciated. Feel free to debate the removal, though I don't know that it'll change my mind. Maybe it'll help someone else that's on the fence though.

Just the under hood components.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
      OK, I've been toying with removing the A/C on my '92 coupe for a ling while now. I've owned the car since June '03 and the A/C has worked for two summers. I'm pretty much used to driving without it and the car is no longer my daily, so I'm thinking about removing it. But I have one main question:

How much do you remove? I figure everything under the hood goes away (the compressor, condensor, dryer, lines, etc.), but what about inside the car? Removing the evaporator core would require ripping open the heater core box (I replaced the evap. core shortly after I bought the car; what a nightmare). What about the control unit in the dash (the knobs), and any duct work? Do you remove any portions of the wiring harness?

Any other thoughts on the topic would be appreciated. Feel free to debate the removal, though I don't know that it'll change my mind. Maybe it'll help someone else that's on the fence though.
      Unless it's a strip-only car, I'd never intentionally remove the A/C. I like being comfortable.

Comment

just the under hood stuff

Originally posted by DOHCTR
        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

If you do remove all the underhood stuff how much you want for it? I need compressor, lines, condenser, dryer, and lines! Atleast everything but the compressor anyways.
          92 LX 5.0

Comment

Get someone to fix the ac correctly and it will work every summer.
            If you're dead set on it then remove all under hood components. Just dont cut any wires to remove it. Zip tie the connectors out of the way in case you want to go back with a/c or if you sell it.
            Honestly Id just have it fixed. Really doesnt cost as much as you would think and if you do decide to sell it it will be worth more if the ac works.

Comment

fuck that shit, fix it!!! it's not difficult and it makes the car 10000x nicer to drive in the summer
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I also agree on fixing it, fuck driving that thing in the summer.

Comment

I'm WAY too old to be driving without AC. it's personal preference, but I would fix it. If you decide to remove it, keep the parts and don't cut anything. It has already been said that the car loses alot of value without it.

Comment

Working...
                  X