Salvage title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvage title

Looking at buying a used bike. Owner claims it come with a salvage title due to "cosmetic damages". Is this an understatement? How will the title affect resell value?
    2008 GT - cammed, 93 octane tune, 326 to the wheels

I owuldnt buy anything with a salvage title, especially a bike.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

the thing with salvage title's is it's for keeps! you better like it and keep it because it ain't shit with that crap title! of course you can find another sucker to buy it.

Comment

Unless I knew the owner who wrecked it, and personally helped with the repairs, I would not buy a salvaged title bike. Even then it's iffy. A swingarm can be bent with no visible signs of damage, all it takes is moving 1mm and it will affect the handling, tire wear, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
          I owuldnt buy anything with a salvage title, especially a bike.
          This.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

1. better be cheap (like 1/2 price of clean title bike)
            2. better have invoices for repair.
            3. don't expect the resale value be much, ie, buy the bike if you want to keep it a long while.
            4. better be damn cheap!
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by weems View Post
              Looking at buying a used bike. Owner claims it come with a salvage title due to "cosmetic damages". Is this an understatement? How will the title affect resell value?
              is it a black ducati monster?

bike looks good but i didnt like the price. i also dont buy the story that it was salvaged due to scratches, cosmetic damage.
              www.hppmotorsports.com
              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Yeah momostallion it is. I was actually going to see if he'd drop it into the two's for the title.

Comment

Yeah momostallion it is. I was actually going to see if he'd drop it into the two's for the title.
                  yea, it's a good looking bike! good luck man.

<--- watching craigslist like a hawk since bike was stolen.
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Sorry about the bike. I texted the guy and he said it was laid down in grass and had to be repainted. Does that really make for a salvage title?

Comment

Sorry about the bike. I texted the guy and he said it was laid down in grass and had to be repainted. Does that really make for a salvage title?
                      Sounds like BS to me.
                      Vortex rear stand $75
                      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                      11 4 door
                      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

There are lots of variables, but bikes are like Vipers, make an insurance claim and it's totaled. For every one of you that has made a claim and not had their bike totaled there are ten thousand who have. Notice, there are no collision repair businesses for motorcycles. I imagine it's has to do with the nature of motorcycles and insurance companies would rather write the bike off than something happen later and wind up in a wrongful death suit.

I'm not sure how the salvage process works if you buy the bike back from your own insurance company after damaging the bike/making the claim.

I do know if you buy the bike at auction like the vast majority of people hawking salvage bikes that you will have no idea why the bike received a salvage title beyond theft/fire/flood/collision.

If the previous owner on the title is an insurance company and also mentions an auction company (Often an insurance company and auction company will be mentioned like Copart, NPA, Salvage Direct) the seller most definitely is not who made the claim. Also, what state is the title out of? If it's not Texas then it's pretty likely they are not who made the claim and they bought it at auction. Just because it is a TX salvage title doesn't mean they are who made the claim, but if it's out of state I guarantee they didn't submit the claim or have any direct information as to why the bike was salvaged other than collision/theft/fire/flood. If it's a shop selling it the same thing goes.
                        US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

The cost of simple plastics for a modern sportbike is why so many get totaled just for cosmetic damage, I mean $500 for one side panel. You add in the $250 for the upper, $125 for a fairing stay, $100 for a lever and god knows how much for the rearsets, it doesn't take long for the repair bill to get over the 70% threshold of totaling it. A friends got laid over doing about 35 in a curve and it slid across the lane and about 15 feet into a lady's yard. He picked it up and rode it home, but the insurance totaled it.

Comment

Working...
                          X