well, what should i buy now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, what should i buy now?

if you didnt see, my '05 r6 raven was stolen last week. insurance still has a week before they will pay out and the amount is kind of up in the air.

either way, i dont want to be without a bike long. i'm looking for something used. probably a 600cc again since lack of power was never an issue and i liked 40+ mpg. '05 and newer, $4k-7k
    that said, i'm not opposed to a 1000cc.

i've thought about another '05 r6 raven but might want to do something different for the sake of different.
    i've considered a newer model r6 but i don't love the look. they are taller, slightly heavier and have a crazy powerband.

i hear the 06+ gsxr 600/750s are very comfortable with a great powerband. i've never really liked them due to the single headlight look, crazy color schemes, and the 3 spoke wheels though. i guess two of those can be remedied though.

the 07+ cbr600rr seems to do everything well. i really like the undertail exhaust look. the rest of the bike just looks okay to me. nothing stands out as amazing.

im a huge fan of the 05/06 zx6r 636. never ridden one, just know it looks good, cool motor with great all around power and fairly comfortable. i know nothing about the newer zx6rs.

and the last one i'm actually very interested in is the triumph daytona 675. love the look, heard great things about it. downside, i've never ridden or heard one. parts prices? hard to fix?
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
    if you didnt see, my '05 r6 raven was stolen last week. insurance still has a week before they will pay out and the amount is kind of up in the air.

either way, i dont want to be without a bike long. i'm looking for something used. probably a 600cc again since lack of power was never an issue and i liked 40+ mpg. '05 and newer, $4k-7k
    that said, i'm not opposed to a 1000cc.

i've thought about another '05 r6 raven but might want to do something different for the sake of different.
    i've considered a newer model r6 but i don't love the look. they are taller, slightly heavier and have a crazy powerband.

i hear the 06+ gsxr 600/750s are very comfortable with a great powerband. i've never really liked them due to the single headlight look, crazy color schemes, and the 3 spoke wheels though. i guess two of those can be remedied though.

the 07+ cbr600rr seems to do everything well. i really like the undertail exhaust look. the rest of the bike just looks okay to me. nothing stands out as amazing.

im a huge fan of the 05/06 zx6r 636. never ridden one, just know it looks good, cool motor with great all around power and fairly comfortable. i know nothing about the newer zx6rs.

and the last one i'm actually very interested in is the triumph daytona 675. love the look, heard great things about it. downside, i've never ridden or heard one. parts prices? hard to fix?
    Only thing honda did well was blow the magazine testers, as they do every year. The 09 up zx6's make pretty mean power for a 600, the peak number is taller than the gsxr, but from 10-14k or so the gsxr is ahead a bit. the 636 will make an honest 8-12 better than the others you mentioned. the 06-07 gsxr will make a touch more power in stock form, the 08 and up needs the 06-07 intake cam as it's a tad bit more radical. the 08 and up's have about .2-.3 more compression as well.
    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

The Triumphs sound pretty mean, it's a triple though so it's more like a rotary airplane engine than an F-1 car. A different sound for sure.

I have a completely stock 2008 1125R that's available if you want something a little different. I do have a lien against it but it's worth more than the loan balance. 146hp, 375 pounds and it was built in Wisconsin.

Comment

I really like 05/06 636s, but they are one of the most popular bikes with stunters so it's getting harder and harder to find a clean one. No real complaints on those bikes from me. Rearsets are really fragile, but that won't be an issue unless you drop it.

Maybe on the dyno the 06/07 GSXR600 puts down the numbers, but to the butt-dyno it feels far behind most modern 600s. To me they feel like they're missing something down low and it never comes on quite right up top either. Just my opinion.

For 08 the GSXR appearance is much improved IMO. I would love an 08/09 750 for a streeter. Small and compact like a 600, but with some extra punch.

07+ zx6's have pretty crappy resale. I had a guy looking at an 06 600RR I was selling and he ended up getting an 08 ZX6 for $550 less than I was willing to sell the 06 Honda for. I bet you can get an 08 zx6 that's really clean for lower 4's. I really like those too, haven't ridden an 09+ zx6.

As a Honda guy I hate to admit it, but I really like all the 06+ R6Vs. It's funny you mention "tall" I think they feel short, and I'm 5-8. lawl. It's been a good 5 years since I've been on an R6S though.

I'm a big fan of the 07+ 600RR. It was the first bike I've ever hopped on and immediately felt 100% at home ripping it the moment I let out the clutch for the first time. I didn't know what perfect throttle response was until I rode one of those. Not a fan of the front end styling and hate that Honda is STILL using 3-spoke wheels on the 600, since 99, WTF, SMH.

I've never ridden the Triumph, but the couple people I've talked to that have them really seemed to like them. A plus is that since they are not one of the Jap-4 brands they will be a less likely target for theft.
        US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Are 848s dipping into the 7's yet?

I haven't had a Duc since the 748-998 era, but they all got amazing mileage. 01 996 got something stupid like 48mpg when cruising. Just a guess, but they are significantly lighter than the old bikes and surely the FI is more refined. Ergos on Ducs used to be pretty whack, but the bikes themselves were very small physically.

I never even realized it until I had a 748 next to a bud's 954. At the time it was like comparing a 500ccGP bike to a 250GP machine. The 954 and a K2 GSXR 1K just DWARFED the little italian bike.

Comment

If comfort, gas mileage, and low-end torque are more important than race track style speed you might look into one of the later F4is, ZZR600s, or YZF600R instead of their more track oriented bigger brothers.

A lot of people can't put their ego aside, but all 3 look sporty to the casual observer, have more comfortable ergos, and more bottom end torque than the "supersport" 600s. Not to mention they are dirt cheap, which will hurt you on resale, but factoring in depreciation on the other bikes it probably evens things out.

Just something to think about.

Comment

Momo, see my for sale ad.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Good luck on the search Momo.

I have been enjoying my 06 636, Last time I got gas and did the math I was getting 46mpg mildly riding it.

Comment

Looked at a triumph 675 today. I really liked it but I'll have to do some more research.

It's on the maybe list.
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Going to look at a ducati tomorrow.

It's quite a bit more but it's a ducati.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

zx10r

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                        zx10r
                        GO BIG OR GO HOME!

I love the first gen zx-10s - like a 954, but with gorilla sized nuts. R-A-W

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                          Going to look at a ducati tomorrow.

It's quite a bit more but it's a ducati.
                          Won't get stolen and has already suffered the majority of it's depreciation. Keep all service records, keep it CLEAN, and it won't depreciate much over the next couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                            Won't get stolen and has already suffered the majority of it's depreciation. Keep all service records, keep it CLEAN, and it won't depreciate much over the next couple years.
                            edit: it WAS an 1198.

think it's sold now.
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                              zx10r
                              what year? i've read enough about 600s and which years are better than others but i dont know much about the 1000cc bikes.

i do like the new zx10r a lot.
                              www.hppmotorsports.com
                              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Working...
                              X