Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banshee or raptor for north Texas trail riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banshee or raptor for north Texas trail riding?

Which would you choose and why for riding trails in north Texas?

Raptor hands down. Not enough flat / sand / dunes out here to justify a banshee. 4 stroke = low end grunt and ability to go thru trails slowly, on idle, etc. the banshee is a smoker, has no low end grunt, and isn't really made IMO for the kind of riding done out here.

Comment

I agree with lo3oz, you will want the low end power of the 4 stroke to maneuver around slow tight areas. I love my Raptor and even had to lose a tooth up front to help with my low end. Constantly using your clutch will kill your hand.

Comment

Do you want a very peaky power band that you'll have to maintain constantly or do you want a wide, flat torque curve that will run for 5+ years without any problems?

For drag racing or riding the dunes a Banshee is probably a better choice. For anything else the Raptor would be the winner.

There are lots of other options. Suzuki and Kawasaki make some badass sport quads that'll run neck and neck with a Raptor up to 65mph or so and are a whole lot cheaper. You can't go wrong with an LTZ400 and they are a lot cheaper.

Comment

Thanks for the input I'll start looking at raptors and the can ams.

I do think this would be fun in the sand though!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Wow Suzuki has a lot of diff models

Ltr 450, ltr450r, Z400, ltz250,

Comment

Ive got a 05 raptor 660 for sale. Pm if interested.

03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                Wow Suzuki has a lot of diff models

Ltr 450, ltr450r, Z400, ltz250,
                LTZ400 or a Kawasaki KX400, they are identical. The 450s are newer and fuel injected, similar power but more expensive. I wouldn't do a 250, you'll outgrow it in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Any thoughts on this raptor?

Comment

i love my z400, but if i got anything else, it would be a raptor 700 or a trx700. you cant really go wrong with a z400 though
                    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

It's ridiculous for trails. Yes, I'm sure it's VERY fast. I'm also pretty sure it won't run on pump gas, it'll overheat in close trail riding and you'll absolutely hate the power band. The price is good for the mods but you really need to ride a stock one before jumping on one like that.

If you are never going to race motoX or do mud bogs there isn't really anything better than one of the 700cc sport quads. If you need something to pull a car with or work on a ranch there are better choices but for blasting through the trails the Raptors, TRX700s and KFX700 are perfect. The TRX has a little more power but it's heavier, also has IRS. The KFX is a 2 cylinder but also has a CVT (no shifting). The Raptor has the largest aftermarket following and is the lightest of the bunch.

Comment

I really like my raptor. Just make sure you buy a quad with reverse.

Sent from my iPhone killer!
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

i would rather have a stock raptor.

Comment

Like the others have said, don't forget about the TRX700. I thought about selling my Raptor to get one, but I have too much money into it. If you are riding strictly trails, the ground clearance from the IRS will make a huge difference. I would like to ride take a friend’s TRX700 for a ride, but I am afraid I will like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                              Like the others have said, don't forget about the TRX700. I thought about selling my Raptor to get one, but I have too much money into it. If you are riding strictly trails, the ground clearance from the IRS will make a huge difference. I would like to ride take a friend’s TRX700 for a ride, but I am afraid I will like it.
                              It is way different from yours. I rode it at blucher all day one time. It is an animal in the rough stuff. My seat is softer.

Comment

Working...
                              X