Dirtbikes without titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtbikes without titles

Ok, I know this was discussed on the "other" board, but I dont feel like searching.

I've been looking at dirtbikes recently and a lot of these bikes dont have titles. Now, I havent owned a dirtbike in 10 years and I have bought and sold dirtbikes without titles in the past, but they were always older bikes at the time, like 7 or more years.

There are several people selling newer 06, 07, 08 and even 09 models without titles, stating they will sign a bill of sale. One bike in paticular that I am looking at is an 08 CRF250r, no titile, but will sign a bill of sale. He gave me the VIN number immediatly when I asked for it so I can run a check on it to see if its stolen or has a lein on it (will do the check on Monday).

I'm just not comfortable spending 3k without a title. Am I being stupid about this ?

I'm also concerned that I will have a hard time selling it when the time comes.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Is there a reason for no title? Is the bike titled in the sellers name? If the bike is titled in the sellers name then a title should be easy to get.

Comment

oklahoma bikes maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by econodrag View Post
        Is there a reason for no title? Is the bike titled in the sellers name? If the bike is titled in the sellers name then a title should be easy to get.
        no he says, the person that he bought it from, bought it from some guy who was/got sent to Iraq and that the person he got it from offered to get with the other guy and get the title, but the current owner said not to worry about it.

Sounds fishy as hell, but the guy sounds like he is shooting me straight and texted me the VIN as soon as I told him I wanted to run some checks on the bike. He doest seem to been misleading or that he is hiding anything, and I really want this bike, but dont want to be dumb about.
        Vortex rear stand $75
        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

11 4 door
        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
          oklahoma bikes maybe.
          what exactly does that mean ?
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I have bought and sold a ton of dirt bikes without titles. people just dont keep up with the titles because its not something you have to have like a car/truck. Its not going to be registered or street legal so its not that important. but I have always got the vin# and had the local pd run a check.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
              i bought all of my sons bikes from oklahoma, no sales tax and cheaper prices by far.....have always sold them w/o title, shipped to many out of state buyers, cali, las vegas, etc.. over the years, i bought new bikes every year and re sold w/o titles every year for stolen bike prices...lol

Comment

who cares if it's stolen? It's a dirtbike.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I was given a title when I bought my old 90 Suzuki RMX250 and it was even issued a plate even though it was not a legitimate street bike (did not have turn signals, brake lights, or a horn) but I never registered it.
                  My 1973 Yamaha GT-80 was street legal and was issued a title, as well as my 02' DRZ400s which is tagged, inspected, and ridden on the street sometimes. All my other dirtbikes over the years have never had titles OR a bill of sale. If its a pure dirt bike and you never intend to ride it on the street I wouldn't care about a title.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                    Oklahoma bikes are generally sold to texans with a bill of sale or MSO only because people don't want to pay the 8.5% tax. If the individual files the MSO with the state they are responsible for the money they saved so it makes no sense to file.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Oklahoma bikes are generally sold to texans with a bill of sale or MSO only because people don't want to pay the 8.5% tax. If the individual files the MSO with the state they are responsible for the money they saved so it makes no sense to file.
                      Oh ok, gotcha. Maybe I need to start looking in Soutern Oklahoma.
                      Vortex rear stand $75
                      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
                      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Not a dirtbike guy, but I wouldn't buy a dirtbike without a title myself.
                        US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

exactly.

many texans buy ok bikes to save money.

Comment

of all the dirtbikes and atv's i've had, only 1 had a title with it. If you run the VIN and it's clear I wouldn't be too concerned with it. My current ride (99 Yz 400f) didn't come with a title. Didn't bother me.

Comment

i sold my '03 cr 250r without a title, because i couldn't find it for some reason...i'm now about to sell my daughter's '04 crf80 and '04 250es 4-wheeler, but i'm pretty sure i know where the titles are for those. most people don't seem to care much about titles on dirt bikes, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X