Prepare a vehicle for northern temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare a vehicle for northern temps?

Im gonna take my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee up to South Dakota for Thanksgiving. It's supposed to get down in the negative numbers while were up there. Is there anything else I should do other than flush the coolant, oil change, cut a piece of card board to stick in font of the radiator (only if needed), dumping the washer fluid and filling it with some cold temp fluid , adding some "heat" to the gas tank during fill ups, and storing some candles and matches in the car?

I'd carry an extra belt, a spare set of wiper blades, jumper cables and warm blankets.

Comment

Check your owners manual for the oil weight they recommend for those temps.

I'd load test the battery & make sure that it is topped off. If it needs water added, DO NOT use tap water. The minerals in it will deposit on the plates & shorten the life of your battery

You really shouldn't need to block off the radiator with cardboard. The thermostat should regulate the temp well. The only time I've seen it cold enough to make blocking the radiator worthwhile was in Barrow, Alaska.

As you already mentioned, definitely put in anti-freeze washer fluid & make sure your engine anti-freeze is up for the task.

What kind tires do you have & what shape are they in? Check the pressures & check them once the temp drops.

When you start-up cold, let it idle for a while, because your oil is going to be like molasses @ first.

Along with the candles & matches, I'd bring a good heavy blanket, and some snacks.... Candy is best, because if the worst happens & you are stranded for a while, the candy will give you instant energy = instant heat. I'd also pick up some of those hand warmers.

That's all I can think of from my experiences... Have fun on your trip & be safe.

*edit* as mentioned above, the spare wipers. On that note, pick them up somewhere up north. UP there they have winter wipers aval, which have a rubber boot around the entire frame. This keeps the ice & snow from freezing up your blades & wiping poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by mustgofaster View Post
        Check your owners manual for the oil weight they recommend for those temps.

I'd load test the battery & make sure that it is topped off. If it needs water added, DO NOT use tap water. The minerals in it will deposit on the plates & shorten the life of your battery

You really shouldn't need to block off the radiator with cardboard. The thermostat should regulate the temp well. The only time I've seen it cold enough to make blocking the radiator worthwhile was in Barrow, Alaska.

As you already mentioned, definitely put in anti-freeze washer fluid & make sure your engine anti-freeze is up for the task.

What kind tires do you have & what shape are they in? Check the pressures & check them once the temp drops.

When you start-up cold, let it idle for a while, because your oil is going to be like molasses @ first.

Along with the candles & matches, I'd bring a good heavy blanket, and some snacks.... Candy is best, because if the worst happens & you are stranded for a while, the candy will give you instant energy = instant heat. I'd also pick up some of those hand warmers.

That's all I can think of from my experiences... Have fun on your trip & be safe.

*edit* as mentioned above, the spare wipers. On that note, pick them up somewhere up north. UP there they have winter wipers aval, which have a rubber boot around the entire frame. This keeps the ice & snow from freezing up your blades & wiping poorly.
        Already checked the charging/starting system. Battery is an optima so no water needed.
        Tires are all terains that I bought n March. Good point about the oil thickness. I didnt even think about it. My brother n law said to have the card board for 2 reasons. #1 to block the radiator is the heater isnt blowing hot enough and #2 to place over the wind shield so I wont have to scrape ice every day.

Comment

No need for cardboard on the radiator. As far as oil just use 5w-30.

Comment

I'd also go a little heavier on the antifreeze in your coolant-to-water ratio.

Comment

I'd be putting me a fkn shovel and pick up a bag of salt( prob wait till your up there to find it in a store). In case you get stuck, also there is some canned shit you can spray in the door locks, b/c they freeze solid. a lighter to heat the key up works in a bind, your gonna want a windshield scraper also. <-----lived in Michigan for 18 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                I'd be putting me a fkn shovel and pick up a bag of salt( prob wait till your up there to find it in a store). In case you get stuck, also there is some canned shit you can spray in the door locks, b/c they freeze solid. a lighter to heat the key up works in a bind, your gonna want a windshield scraper also. <-----lived in Michigan for 18 years.
                I lived in Detroit for 3 months and that was way too long. I cant even imagine 18 years.

Comment

Should I even consider some snow chains? Id like to have a set for the rare occasion it freezes down here so it wouldnt be a complete waste if I didnt use them on the trip. Forecast up there shows light snow on Wednesday and thats it. We'll be leaving Wednesday around 3-4 so I shouldnt even hit any snow.
                  If so what snow chains should I get or which ones to stay away from?
                  Last edited by stephen4785; 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

We have a nice batch of weather come in today.

As far as prep. As long as everything is sound then your gtg. Just make sure your antifreeze is up to the task.

If your on main hwys you should not have any issues. Snow chains are not needed. You might have some starting issues if its reallly cold.

You shouldnt need to put anything in your gas.

Just be safe drive and drive with a brain and youll Live.

Its all the other idjits you have to watch out for. I've found if semis can roll at 65 its safe to go around 50-55.

Btw im in nw Iowa next to south dakota.

Comment

Stay on the main roads and you won't have a problem.

<-- was stationed in Northern Michigan for five years.
                      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X