alarms and gps tracking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alarms and gps tracking.

after my bike got stolen i'm quite freaked about leaving this one out in my parking lot at work. despite the fact im looking at it right now from my window, and its got a xena disc lock on it, and my friend parked his car in front of it... i still dont trust it.

i've considered buying lojack but its $700 for the base system, $1000 for the one i would want, and it has some coverage area holes.

mototraq is only $200 but has a $30/mo fee and its awfully new.

ive thought about just making a kill switch and building a gps tracking unit out of a cell phone. a well hidden phone with noise makers removed with a simple dataplan can be aquired for cheap and only be $5-10 for monthly fees. it would have several hours of back up via its battery as well and allow me to track it on my phone/computer.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

i have been thinking up all kinds of ideas on motorcycle security.
    I'll explain some ideas i have later.
    most of it in the hopes of not having to carry about a 20lb chain and lock.
    Will still need that sometimes though.
    I'm thinking multiple layers of security, cheap and undetectable

keep in mind any GPS transmitter transmits so theives can thell that.
    Lojack is a receiver and must be activated. Lojack is honestly overpriced, with crap for guarantee of recovery.
    It's very heavily dependant on you reporting it quickly and the police operating their lojack equipment they have to find it. Otherwise they could get your bike out of range, or not get to it quick enough after activating.

Comment

If you buy a bike that already has lojack on it, is there anything special I need to do? Are their monthly/yearly fees?

I guess I could google...

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
        keep in mind any GPS transmitter transmits so theives can thell that.
        thieves can tell if there is a cellular data signal or gps signal emitting from the bike?
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
          thieves can tell if there is a cellular data signal or gps signal emitting from the bike?
          could if they wanted to ....thats the point
          lojack is passive. However lojack has plenty of downfalls too, which are well explained on the internet

Comment

1. load truck into metal container/trailer/truck

2. unload into metal building

3. dismantle

4. ????

5. profit
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

anyone think mace dispensing from said soon-to-be-stolen bike would be much of a deterrant to a thief ?

Comment

Working...
              X