School me on TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on TV's

I plan to buy a new TV this holday season and I would like to get some opinions on what would be the best for me. I will be using it for general TV viewing but want it mostly for gaming and sports. What type of TV will be best for me. I have heard alot about the 120-240 hz refresh rate and want to know what would be the best. Plasma, LCD, or LED.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

This is a decent read on the differences between the technologies:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-tvs-plasma-tvs/

and

http://ezinearticles.com/?Plasma-Vs-...es?&id=3520201

and

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl..._buying_guide/

Personally, I think that the best picture is from a plasma, and if I were going to buy one, I would get the high end panasonic.

I have a 32 LCD in the bedroom, 120hz and I like it's picture a lot also. Most of the Samsungs have good reviews.

I don't know enough about LED to offer any suggestions.

As far as 120 hz to 240hz, alot of people say they can't tell the difference. If you can get 240 for a similar price, do it, but I don't think its necessary. DO NOT get a 60hz though... Heres an article on the 240:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10144265-1.html
    Last edited by clevelandkid; 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

That's a very good article and just what I was looking for thanks alot.
      Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

I went from a DLP to Plasma. The 2010 edition of Plasmas from most manufacturers have made big strides at eliminating burn in. My Panasonic Viera Plasma has been great thus far and has built in anti-image retention technology. I prefer Plasma over LCD due to Plasma not experiencing any fast motion blurring and is capable of reproducing deep blacks. The only downside to the modern Plasma TV is power consumption vs. LCD. Plasma are power hungry. With my 24 frames per second capable Blu-ray + Plasma, movies like Avatar are vivid, rich, and lifelike.
        Last edited by LS1Goat; 11-24-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I think the motion blur is the only thing that I don't like about the TV I have now, sounds like I am going to go with a plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
            I think the motion blur is the only thing that I don't like about the TV I have now, sounds like I am going to go with a plasma.
            if you want to save some cash then go plasma.. You can get a quality 50'' plasma for well under 1000 bucks. But my next tv will be a 60'' samsung LED

Oh, Panasonic makes the best plasmas..and for led/lcd imo samsung is the best

Comment

I have a 55'' Samsung LED and I love it. Doesn't have the refresh rate of a plasma,but it's a lot better than LCD. Contrast ratio is 1,000,000 to 1 or more, don't remember. For not being plasma, it has a very good deep black.

Thinking of a plasma for the game room though later on.

Comment

I have the high end Panasonic Plasma and it the picture just cant be beat. I did have to paint the walls a darker color and put up some privacy shdes and it helps alot during the day. No complaints and I paid over 3k for my 58inch, the same TV at Best Buy can be had for right at 2k, im thnking about buying another one for my bedroom, haha!
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                X