"Cut50" plasma cutter review (Import)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cut50" plasma cutter review (Import)

I thought I'd throw this out there for anyone on the fence about these types of plasma cutters - I just bought one, shown here -

CUT50D Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Welder. 110V OR 220V. Plasm Cutting Specs WE ALSO HAVE CONSUMABLES FOR THIS PLASMA CUTTER, YOU CAN. Plasma Cutter Specs Plasma Cutter Contains Toshiba Mosfets. Includes 35 Nickel Plated.

This thing is worth it's weight in gold. I would highly recommend for anyone who does a lot of cutting (anything other than straight lines). The consumables are cheap, and the machine itself is SUPER light weight, maybe 15# total?

There's a couple of small things that I personally dont like - It's a contact style cutter - it has to touch the part to start an arc. The last one I used was a 'lift-arc' type of cutter - you hit the button and the arc started without touching the part. Helps the consumables last longer. 2nd - the button on the torch is zip tied on and the trimmed zip ties are sharp. Again, no big deal, especially since most of the time you're wearing gloves.

I hacked some brackets off of a rear end housing last night that were about 1/4 thick - and it cut through them with ease. There's even a youtube video of this thing cutting 3/4 or 7/8 bar stock.

All in all, I would definitely do it again.

built in compressor? Im too lazy to pull up the link. **EDIT** Just noticed no compressor.

I had the small Hobart airforce and it was ok but one thing I didnt like was if you started it without touching the part the torch would come on then quickly shut off and you had to wait a sec for the compressor to cool the tip before you could restart it. Extremely frustrating because if the part was scaled up then it wouldnt always ground right and shut off.

Comment

Hmm, I've been debating getting a plasma but can't really justify having one. Most of the work I do is paint and body related and not a lot of heavy duty cutting involved but for that price its almost impossible to pass up.
      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        built in compressor? Im too lazy to pull up the link. **EDIT** Just noticed no compressor.

I had the small Hobart airforce and it was ok but one thing I didnt like was if you started it without touching the part the torch would come on then quickly shut off and you had to wait a sec for the compressor to cool the tip before you could restart it. Extremely frustrating because if the part was scaled up then it wouldnt always ground right and shut off.
        which Hobart did you have? I've been looking at those also but I would like one with built in compressor.
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

This one does kinda the same thing - I'm assuming it has a hard-coded post flow timer. However, on this one, if you keep holding the button and dragging it on the part, the arc WILL start eventually - just be sure you are where you want to be cutting, or you'll be doing some weld-repair. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
            which Hobart did you have? I've been looking at those also but I would like one with built in compressor.
            Hobart airforce 250 I believe, it was the small one. I got it at the Decatur swap meet for like $200 and it was hardly used. It worked great but I learned real quick that bigger IS better in plasma cutters. After I used it a few times I just found I prefered a cutoff wheel unless I was doing long straight cuts on thin sheetmetal.

For paint and body the only real use I can see is cutting large portions of a quarter out before trimming it with a cutoff.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up and your valued opinion. I've been putting off the purchase of one until now due to pricing.

Thanks.

Comment

For paint and body the only real use I can see is cutting large portions of a quarter out before trimming it with a cutoff.
                That's the one I've been looking at and yes, cutting large sections of sheet metal is the only justification I see in paint and body work.

Did you get rid of it?

sent from htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                  That's the one I've been looking at and yes, cutting large sections of sheet metal is the only justification I see in paint and body work.

Did you get rid of it?

sent from htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
                  Yeah its long gone.

Oh and sorry to hijack Brooks, thanks for the heads up on the plasma cutter.

Comment

LOL, no worries man - it's certainly relevant. Keep it coming.

Comment

damn, i just threw down on a hypertherm powermax45
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Well Brooks, I bought one. If in 7-10 days I find that I don't like it, it's all your fault. :wink1:

Comment

You're gonna like it, it works great!

Comment

Damn you guys shoulda talked to me, I sell these as well as pilot arc units and am local. I have 40D,50D and 50F units. The D units are 110/220v, The HF torch cuts easily thru 1/2 plate on my 40 amp units. And I use a better torch then comes with those units. Brooks PM if you want to come out to my shop not far up Bus 287 from you and test drive a combo unit. I have all the comsumables for all types of torches and roller guides.

Comment

Good to know DFWtechie. I live in Mansfield. Please PM your address. I have an ESAB unit and need some consumables.
                              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X