Electric tankless water heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric tankless water heaters?

Thinking of putting one in a 3br 1 bath house. Gas in not available. House has no dishwasher so just the single bath,kitchen sink, and washing machine. Opinions?
    2015 F250 Platinum

General consensus is no go...

Most of the time, they need more power than what is already supplied. They need something crazy like 80 amps. You will more than likely have to add wiring and or a new breaker box if you dont have the room. They are not much more efficient and will take many years to recoup the initial costs.

Comment

Wiring is not a problem and it already has a 200A panel. The thing is in the open in a utility room and a tankless would take up much less room and look better.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I think there's a big deal about elec vs. gas for the tankless waterheaters. The gas ones are the way to go, IIRC.
        I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Requires an 80 amp dedicated circuit, and will use damn near every bit of it. They're not near as efficient as gas, and don't get water near as hot. I put two in at the insistance of a new-home owner, and both of us wish we hadn't. Ground temperature of water drops considerably during the winter, so realize that you'll only see about a 35 degree increase in whatever the water temp is when it enters the heater.

Have you considered propane?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Requires an 80 amp dedicated circuit, and will use damn near every bit of it. They're not near as efficient as gas, and don't get water near as hot. I put two in at the insistance of a new-home owner, and both of us wish we hadn't. Ground temperature of water drops considerably during the winter, so realize that you'll only see about a 35 degree increase in whatever the water temp is when it enters the heater.

Have you considered propane?
            Its going into a rent house so I dont care to add propane. Gas was run to the house but i did away with all the gas. Think im just going with a new 40g tank.
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
              Its going into a rent house so I dont care to add propane. Gas was run to the house but i did away with all the gas. Think im just going with a new 40g tank.
              sounds like a winner

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                In this case, you'll come out way ahead.

Comment

If your trying to save money then one way is to install a timeclock on the water heater. Have it set to kick off say midnight to 5am and then say 8-3 when your at work. You can even get a fancy digital one that you can program for it to run normal during the weekends. Youd be surprised how much that would save you

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
                    If your trying to save money then one way is to install a timeclock on the water heater. Have it set to kick off say midnight to 5am and then say 8-3 when your at work. You can even get a fancy digital one that you can program for it to run normal during the weekends. Youd be surprised how much that would save you
                    Yep, i gotta $30 cheapo and saves a shitload on electric. They do have a manual override for times you need it on.

Comment

Titan 120. Requires one 60 amp breaker. Works awesome for about the last 5 years so far. Paid for itself in four months.

This is the one I put in my new house. Works awesome too. Bigger house required a bigger unit (big tub in the master bath).

Last edited by Clifton; 11-28-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I've got one (electric tankless) in my home... wish I didn't.

Mine has two dedicated 60 mp circuits, four heating elements, it works but water temp varies too much as the tstats turn on and off the different elements during the heating cycle.

My guess is a gas model would work much better than the electric versions.

mardyn

Comment

I have 1 for my 3bdrm 2 bath and it takes 3 40amp 2poles, this thing cranks out 160 degree water at my sink in the garage about 10 ft away from it. we can have to showers running at the same time. Just make sure what ever model you get has 3/4 plumbing in it, if it has 1/2 stay away from them.

Comment

Bought an A.O. Smith 40gal yesterday. Will be installing it in the next few days.
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

In my opinion only a gas tankless water heater is recommended. A electric model will just eat your lunch.

Check out a Rinai Brand if interested.

rick

Comment

Working...
                              X