Transmission guys I got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission guys I got a question

Well I stayed with a Ford today when I bought my first beater. It is a 1990 Ford Bronco with I think might be 79k miles but who knows. The motor looks to clean to be 179k and it runs fantastic. Sooooo I noticed there was oil under it and that while it was running it would drip a little. I figured it was the rear main seal. We checked the oil and it looked fine. I drove it and it shifted kinda hard but everything was working and it drives great. It was in Hurst and on the way home it was shifting fine till about 360 and 20 when I got down on it and it shifted out of OD like it should but never shifted back into it. I drove it home because with the gears it was not taching but 2500 at 70 and figured since the shift linkage was off maybe it was stuck on the down shift. Well it dies coming off the service road over Cedar Ridge almost to my moms. This is when I learned 1/4 tank really means no gas. LOL. Any ways now it wont shift into overdrive. I noticed it tached up once at about AVE K but when I let off it engaged again. I chalked it all up to it hasnt been driven much in 2 years. So am I screwed and is the tranny fried. I can drive back roads all day and it shifts first and second no problem just no OD and third maybe???. I am assuming it is a 3 speed right? If so any good tranny builders down south?? Even if it needs one at least I will know its rebuilt. Also should I have the rear main done while its out. Not sure its even leaking but hell you know how it goes. I havent pulled a tranny in a 4wd in a while should I do my own? HOwever first I want to see if maybe its something easy and I can get too thru the pan.
    Whos your Daddy?

This may sound silly, but have you looked at the fluid yet? Is it low? Is it discolored or smell burnt? Also, is it the AOD?

FYI, fullsizebronco.com is a good resource for info on your truck. Don't get me wrong, I know there will be people here with good info on the Tranny, but for everything else in general.

Comment

It has a unique smell to the fluid. LOL
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Is it still red / pink? I wonder if a fluid / filter change would be enough.

Comment

if it smells, it is likely burnt. you could flush and top off with your fingers crossed but most likely it will need an overhaul. Yes, do the rear main.

Link Chili gave you is going to have more info than you can absorb....and good info at that!

Comment

Yeah I think its toast, I have fried enough cluthces to know that smell. Has manual kick down nothing electronic I could see so maybe I can pull it off solo. Everytime I take my junk somewhere I end up re doing something and its starting to piss me off. I will check the link and look around. I think trannys from this era should be cheap enough.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If it's a 351 if could be an E4OD or a C6, 302 could also be an AOD. If it's an AOD the OD band could be smoked or the piston either isn't seated or is broken.

Comment

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Taken from Wikki. LOL
                  In 1987, the body and drivetrain of the fullsize Bronco changed, as it was still based on the F-Series. The new aero body style reflected a larger redesign of many Ford vehicles for the new model year. By 1988, all Broncos were being sold with electronic fuel injection (first introduced in 1985 with the 302). In 1991, a 25th Silver Anniversary Edition was sold featuring special badges, Currant Red paint and a gray and red leather interior. A Nite edition, similar to that on the F-Series, was also available in 1991 and 1992, the 91's tend to be rarer. All Broncos were built at the Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, Michigan on the same line as the F-150.

The 5-speed M5OD-R2 transmission was added as an option for 302-powered Broncos in 1987. 1988-89 351W trucks received a c6 transmission. For 1990, the electronically-controlled E4OD automatic overdrive came standard on the 351W, and 300. The AOD was mated with the 302 from 1987-1990. By 1991 All engines received the E4OD.

A V8 engine and automatic transmission were standard in Eddie Bauer, Nite, and Silver Anniversary trucks.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Taken from Wikki. LOL
                    In 1987, the body and drivetrain of the fullsize Bronco changed, as it was still based on the F-Series. The new aero body style reflected a larger redesign of many Ford vehicles for the new model year. By 1988, all Broncos were being sold with electronic fuel injection (first introduced in 1985 with the 302). In 1991, a 25th Silver Anniversary Edition was sold featuring special badges, Currant Red paint and a gray and red leather interior. A Nite edition, similar to that on the F-Series, was also available in 1991 and 1992, the 91's tend to be rarer. All Broncos were built at the Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, Michigan on the same line as the F-150.

The 5-speed M5OD-R2 transmission was added as an option for 302-powered Broncos in 1987. 1988-89 351W trucks received a c6 transmission. For 1990, the electronically-controlled E4OD automatic overdrive came standard on the 351W, and 300. The AOD was mated with the 302 from 1987-1990. By 1991 All engines received the E4OD.

A V8 engine and automatic transmission were standard in Eddie Bauer, Nite, and Silver Anniversary trucks.
                    Yeah, 90 302 has the AOD. That's the same truck I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X