2004 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Mustang GT

A guy I work with has a 04 GT & wants to replace the cams. I don't know shit about mod engines I figured I would ask you guys. What all would need to be done to do this the correct way? What would it cost to have them replaced?

It's easy, just remove the timing chains and unbolt the cams. Unfortunately getting the chains off is an all day job, expect to pay 9 hours labor at $70-80 per.

Comment

Tell him to pick up a used blower setup. Same money or less, he can install himself, and more power.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        It's easy, just remove the timing chains and unbolt the cams. Unfortunately getting the chains off is an all day job, expect to pay 9 hours labor at $70-80 per.
        i have to agree with the first part, however in my experience swapping chains was only a 4-5 hr ordeal, but im sure shop time is 9hrs :biggrin:

Comment

That's a very very abbreviated explanation of how to do this job properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
            That ain't no lie.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

It can be done without pulling the chains if you have the Ford cam chain wedge tool, its not that difficult. If you have to change valve springs, it is a bit more of a pain in the butt but it can still be done over a weekend.

If springs aren't needed and you pick up the wedge tool, you can swap the cams in a couple of hours.
              01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

give us a call 817-465-GEAR
                Originally posted by BoostedGT
                I got one of them POS x275 88mm's sitting on the work bench. Come get it.
                Originally posted by bigminz
                Hell no. Have you seen most of these cars up close? Death traps at those speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                  Kind of being sarcastic, you need a ton of special tools to do it. I was just quoting the R&R steps in Alldata, it literally says to remove the chains, unbolt cams. Skidmark has the best answer.

Comment

What is the best bang for your buck supercharger to look for? Looking for something used though. What else would he need to upgrade if he installed a supercharger?

Comment

I've seen some cheap used Vortech tuner kits on various sites. You'll need to upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, and a tune. Or you could also take it to GHP and have them install a Torquer S/C Kit.

Comment

If you know what your'e doing its a couple hour job

Comment

Or I have a disc Prochager for $2,500

Comment

Working...
                          X