Couch to 5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couch to 5k

Anyone else do it? I saw and old thread where it looked like Elvis started but never got any updates. Pro/Cons? Suggestions?

I hate running but am starting today. Im going to try and start on week 2. I think (we will find out) that I can comfortably start there. Downloaded the iphone app. Will be running outside on a track. I think the treadmill will be boring at the gym.

Wife did it, works ok for beginner.

Comment

Not trying to be a smart ass here...

Has anyone used this? I'm seriously out of shape, and I'm thinking about springing for the $2.99 app so I can put that portion of my workout plan on easy mode. It times it all off my iphone, so I can play my workout music, and it tells me when to jog, and when to walk. Thoughts?
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Not trying to be a smart ass here...

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9928
        Like I said in my original post...there was an old post about it where a few people started (though Elvis was the only one to update) and it died. No one updated; no one finished it.

Comment

Fair enough, I missed that. I apologize.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

My wife did it, sorta. She mostly used it as a starting point, jumped to week 3 and then kept skipping steps where they were too easy. She ran 4 miles with me yesterday and we run a 5k tomorrow with "The Smart Ass" and his wife! LOL

8MPG, do some research on running form, is the best advice I can give you. I hated running too, but once I found an efficient form and a shoe that let me run correctly, it all changed. I was lifting weights at lunch today and as I grabbed a dumb bell off the ground I thought,"I'd rather be running. Wait...whaaaaaaaat?!!" Such a strange change after nearly 38yrs of hating to run! I don't know where you are, but if you work up to a 5K, haller and we'll run with you.

-Jonny
            2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
            '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

I agree with Johnny on form being important...especially if you're not naturally a distance runner. Sprinting and distance running are very different and it took me too long to learn to improve my distance form.

Learn good form and running will come easier

Comment

<-------- Passes out from shock

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                I agree with Jonny on form being important...especially if you're not naturally a distance runner. Sprinting and distance running are very different and it took me too long to learn to improve my distance form.

Learn good form and running will come easier
                '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
                  <-------- Passes out from shock
                  Haha...Im still FAR from agreeing with you on shoe choice. But that's a pointless argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    Haha...Im still FAR from agreeing with you on shoe choice. But that's a pointless argument.
                    I'll take it!
                    What did work for you for distance? You use the pose method?
                    -Jonny
                    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

I'll take it!
                      What did work for you for distance? You use the pose method?
                      -Jonny
                      I dnot know what the pose method is. I just refined my stride and mechanics to be more efficient. Less reaching out, and more of a mid foot landing.

Comment

what's the pose method?

Comment

Musculoskeletal injury prevention and human performance optimization start with the development of a fundamental skill of movement.
                          '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks for the link...been reading and watching videos about Pose running. Going to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              Thanks for the link...been reading and watching videos about Pose running. Going to give it a try.
                              Cool! Post up how it works for you. The only difference between pose and the style I'm trying to use is, in pose, you lean from your ankles. In Ken Bob's variation, you only lean ankle to hip and your torso stays upright. That seemed to work better for my lower back, not that I'm going so fast there is any sort of extreme leaning going on. LOL. Think I got whooped by a slew of 9-13yr olds in my last race. It was still fun though!

-Jonny
                              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X