Can a starter place fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a starter place fix this?

Like a dummie I was tightening the main power lead on my starter down and I guess I put the gorilla hand on it because next thing I know it snapped the stud off the starter. I can see how it would connect, but I am not sure if this is a serviceable part. I have the plastic piece that also cracked off, a little JB weld and I could have that back together.

Anyone ever broke the main feed stud off and had it "re-attached"

ps. this is on the solenoid part of the starter, looks like this, except imagine the stud is broken off:

You should be able to replace just the selenoid. Is this on the mustang with the lsx?

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
      You should be able to replace just the selenoid. Is this on the mustang with the lsx?
      Yup, my old lady went out of town this weekend. I rolled the coupe out and figured I'd get the starter buttoned up for good (had it in there, but decided to run a larger gauge wire to the fuse box I built). Was only out in the garage for 5 minutes when I snapped the lead off the starter (oddly enough both the feed wire and the wire to the fuse box are still secured to the stud, too bad the stud isn't connect to the starter anymore ). At that point I swept out the garage and rolled it back in, if my day starts like that I have found it typically doesn't get better.

Who would you recommend for getting the solenoid replaced (never pulled just the solenoid, does it just bolt in? If so where can I get a replacement for an LQ9 starter?)

Comment

It should be pretty quick and easy fix.
        Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

LOL.

I did the same things a few months back. The starter was a lifetime unit from Orielly's so I just took it back and got a new one. I told the guy what happened and he said "well, it must have been defective. (Wink, Wink)
          David

1986 GT

Comment

Well the selenoid is really easy to replace but finding a replacement may be an issue. Just checked Autozone and Rock Auto's online catalogs and no one is listing a replacement anywhere. You may end up having to get a new starter if thats the case. Do not glue it though, there is alot of current that runs through that selenoid post.

Comment

If you're in the Arlington area, go see the guy at Metroplex Starter. He will fix you up! I use him for stuff all the time.

Metroplex Alternator & Starter
              2627 S Cooper St # B26
              Arlington, TX 76015-2451
              (817) 277-9764
              Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
              http://www.titantowing.net
              -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

Originally posted by kc50lx View Post
                If you're in the Arlington area, go see the guy at Metroplex Starter. He will fix you up! I use him for stuff all the time.

Metroplex Alternator & Starter
                2627 S Cooper St # B26
                Arlington, TX 76015-2451
                (817) 277-9764
                Perfect, just down the street from Metroflex (I need to swing by there and donate to their outreach anyway).

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X