Case swager, best option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case swager, best option?

Trying to take advantage of the Midway USA Fathers Day Sale and want to get a case swager to fix the primer hole in the NATO brass I have.

So far I have found 3 solutions:

1. Hand swager from Lyman
    2. Swager die from RCBS
    3. Swager press from Dillon

What is the best option for this? I found a nice tool set that includes swagers, but not sure how easy it is to do by hand http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=979270

CJ showed me a little bit about reloading last night and we used one like this.

Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

You can use that to get the primer pockets uniformed again after being crimped or staked?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
        You can use that to get the primer pockets uniformed again after being crimped or staked?
        CJ is probably your best person to answer that.
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

You can use that but everyone says a swager is the way to go. I have one just haven't used it yet as I don't mess with military brass very often.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
            You can use that but everyone says a swager is the way to go. I have one just haven't used it yet as I don't mess with military brass very often.
            Well I have several hundred rounds of NATO 5.56 so I want to be able to reuse it all. I'll probably just use a pocket reamer and that deburring tool.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
              Well I have several hundred rounds of NATO 5.56 so I want to be able to reuse it all. I'll probably just use a pocket reamer and that deburring tool.
              Check this out, it's supposed to be better than just using a reamer and a deburring tool.

Comment

If you are looking to do hundreds of 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO brass, the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager is a cost effective way to do it.

If you are looking to do thousands of rounds, make the investment in the Dillon Super Swager.

Swaging is considered safer and better because you are not removing metal. With reaming, you are removing metal and it is possible to remove too much metal and making your primer pocket to loose to hold the primer.

I just processed nearly 1k pieces of 1x fired LC 5.56 NATO brass and have another 3k waiting for me to process. I can do several hundred per hour using the Dillon Super Swager. For me, it was definitely worth the investment considering the time saved and knowing that the primer pocket will be perfect. I've got another 1k of LC 7.62 NATO brass in the mail that I know I'll have to process as well. Quick 15 second switch of swaging rods and I'm ready to process.

Yes I do own the RCBS die as well, but it was a little more challenging to setup. Each headstamp needed adjustment as does the Dillon, but the Dillon is quicker to do the adjustment IMHO.

Comment

I ordered the RCBS die, we'll see how it goes. At the moment I do not have any 7.62 and only a few hundred 5.56

Comment

Which Single Stage press do you have?

My single stage is a Lee Challenger Breech Lock. I failed to mention (forgot and sorry for that) that the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager does not work well with this press. The reason is the brass kicker (don't know what it is officially called) kept snagging on the spent primer catcher. It needs a solid bottom (like most RCBS presses) so that the release of the brass is clean and consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by capreppy View Post
                      Which Single Stage press do you have?

My single stage is a Lee Challenger Breech Lock. I failed to mention (forgot and sorry for that) that the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager does not work well with this press. The reason is the brass kicker (don't know what it is officially called) kept snagging on the spent primer catcher. It needs a solid bottom (like most RCBS presses) so that the release of the brass is clean and consistent.
                      Lyman Spar-T turret press

Comment

Can't seem to find a good picture of this press, but it looks like you should be ok.

Comment

Comment

You should be ok. The cup will sit on top of the shell holder.

You'll feed the brass into the die and then raise the shellholder w/cup into the brass. The cup is in two pieces. The swager and the brass releaser (again, not official name, but gets the point across). The brass will be "stuck" to the swager and brass releaser and on the upswing, the brass releaser will hit the bottom of the press forcing the swaged brass off and then you do the process again.

Since it looks like the base is flat, you shouldn't have any problems. There doesn't look to be any obstructions to the brass releaser.

The Lee Challenger Breech Lock has a primer catcher at the base that prevents smooth operation of the brass releaser. This increased the time it took to process the brass and thus the reason I made the move to the Dillon Super Swager.

Comment

Ah yea I see the difference. Right now mine has a primer arm mounted to the tabs just between the arm and the shell holder, but its easily removable. Cant wait to try it out

Comment

Working...
                              X