5.0 making tap/ tick sound driver side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0 making tap/ tick sound driver side

just picked my car up. some of ya'll know from the other board the deals i had with the 5.0 and i finally got it back. it had the tap/ tick i am refering to and he said the rocker is bad and its ok to drive just nothing aggresive until i can get it fixed? is this right? no additional damage to be done? also how much labor am i looking at cause i dont know dick about motors. oh and what decides 1.6 or 1.7 being better over the other?

I would fix that for you for a 12 pack of beer and $100.
    Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
      I would fix that for you for a 12 pack of beer and $100.
      lol i might have to take you up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
        just picked my car up. some of ya'll know from the other board the deals i had with the 5.0 and i finally got it back. it had the tap/ tick i am refering to and he said the rocker is bad and its ok to drive just nothing aggresive until i can get it fixed? is this right? no additional damage to be done? also how much labor am i looking at cause i dont know dick about motors. oh and what decides 1.6 or 1.7 being better over the other?
        My suggestion is that if you don't know dick about motors then you need to sell your car. Another suggestion for you seeing that you probably won't take the afore mentioned advice is to go back with the 1.6:1 rockers. You probably do not know what cam is in the motor therefore going back with stock ratio will eliminate the valve to piston clearance question. Also, another suggestion is that I would go ahead and get a second opinion. It could be that you have a bad lifter. They are known to lose their prime over the years and need replacement. Rockers usually don't go bad unless they are broken and usually that means a bent pushrod and a trashed lifter.

Comment

Originally posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
          My suggestion is that if you don't know dick about motors then you need to sell your car. Another suggestion for you seeing that you probably won't take the afore mentioned advice is to go back with the 1.6:1 rockers. You probably do not know what cam is in the motor therefore going back with stock ratio will eliminate the valve to piston clearance question. Also, another suggestion is that I would go ahead and get a second opinion. It could be that you have a bad lifter. They are known to lose their prime over the years and need replacement. Rockers usually don't go bad unless they are broken and usually that means a bent pushrod and a trashed lifter.
          ha i have too much into this car that i drove for the first time today and i bought it in august. deal i'll sell it but you have to buy my 01 vortech car also so i can do what i should of done and get a terminator...and actually i know exactly which cam is in the car cause i looked at it when my buddy pulled it out. it is a tfs stage 1 cam. i have the exact part number and can post a link to its specs if needed. its just in the other room.

do i need to go to a performance shop for this opinion. car is a performance car with heads and all but performance shops take forever and i rather steer clear if all possible

Comment

has brodix st 5.0 heads and a tfs -51402000 cam with a stock 97 explorer bottom end that has o miles since rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
              ha i have too much into this car that i drove for the first time today and i bought it in august. deal i'll sell it but you have to buy my 01 vortech car also so i can do what i should of done and get a terminator...and actually i know exactly which cam is in the car cause i looked at it when my buddy pulled it out. it is a tfs stage 1 cam. i have the exact part number and can post a link to its specs if needed. its just in the other room.

do i need to go to a performance shop for this opinion. car is a performance car with heads and all but performance shops take forever and i rather steer clear if all possible
              lol....well on a factory stock motor you could get away with using 1.7:1 ratio rockers with that cam. Not knowing what heads you have and if they have ever been milled I still cannot answer your question. The only safe way is to have somebody check piston to valve clearance but that means you have to buy them in hopes that they will clear. I would still recommend using the 1.6's. There isn't a big enough advantage with that cam to run the 1.7's.

There are a couple of guys here that are good mechanics and are fairly cheap. Turbostang; 2tnecpe; Jetfast50 to name a few. I don't know their schedules or if they would even be interested but if not I am sure there are others.

Comment

Any and all peoples. If you have a set 1.6rr and also any mechanics who can help me i live in the ft worth area around 35w and western center. I have never enljoyed driving this car and last night was the first time ever. Somebody step up and help me please.

Comment

Do you want to learn how todo this shit?

I mean seriously swapping a damn 302 in a fox is about as easy as ordering drive thru at jitb.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                    Do you want to learn how todo this shit?

I mean seriously swapping a damn 302 in a fox is about as easy as ordering drive thru at jitb.

Good luck with it.
                    well ive worked on my own cars and i always seem to fuck shit up. if it was brakes cool. belt great. an accessory such as the altenator go it. i'm afraid to mess up the motor again and be doing another swap if i broke something

Comment

if its just the rocker just pull the valve covers off and switch the rockers, might also wanna check and make sure none of it broke off inside the covers... doesnt sound like that big of a job

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                        if its just the rocker just pull the valve covers off and switch the rockers, might also wanna check and make sure none of it broke off inside the covers... doesnt sound like that big of a job
                        i was told a rocker but what the hell do i know. who can i take it to and not a performance shop that will let it sit for 3 god damn months before pulling it in

Comment

well you can try it for yourself first, pull the valve cover off and if you see one laying on its side (like i did when i had a clicking noise) you can just swap it out, if that does not work take it to Gear Heads, they worked on mine and got me in an out in about a week

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                          You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                            well you can try it for yourself first, pull the valve cover off and if you see one laying on its side (like i did when i had a clicking noise) you can just swap it out, if that does not work take it to Gear Heads, they worked on mine and got me in an out in about a week
                            ive spent alot of money with gearheads. alll my mods on my 01 including a blower, built rear end, motor swap after i blew the first, etc etc.
                            so 1st off great guys. good work. still recommend.
                            2ndly no thanks and i wont go into why.

ill give it a whirl i guess. i just want to use a regular shop if they are capable, if they are not i will go to a performance shop if i have to i guess

Comment

roller rocker will make a little noise is what iv been told, but then again i could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X