toilet flange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet flange

I am redoing my master bath. I pulled out the toilet to tile and when i did i noticed the flange was in pretty bad shape. The thing is it wasn't attached to the concrete slab. I went up to home depot and looked for replacement flanges and found one that was two pieces that seems to fit pretty good around the pipe coming out of the slab, but it is really easy to just pop on and off. Do I need to attach it to the slab or will it be fine once i put the new toilet on it.

Are you talking about the wax ring that seals the toilet to the floor/pipe? Those wax rings just sit over the pipe, and "squish" some to seal to the toilet.

Comment

First off, is the flange attached to a metal pipe (probably cast iron) or PVC?

I'm not a plumber but in my experience, the flange is not attached to the foundation. I think I've replaced 10 or 15 toilets and the flange was never connected to the foundation.

BTW, post a pic. That will help.

Comment

some of the repair flanges also bolt to the floor

Comment

ok thanks for the replies.

it is just a pvc pipe coming out of the foundation.

everything i was reading online about replacing the flange was saying to screw it in using the existing holes, probably just a different scenario.

so i would just snap the replacement metal flange around the pvc and put the two bolts in it, then put the wax ring on top of that and then put the toilet on top of that, then squish the toilet into the wax ring and then screw the nuts onto the two bolts that are attached to the flange?

Comment

Originally posted by jasone View Post
            ...so i would just snap the replacement metal flange around the pvc and put the two bolts in it, then put the wax ring on top of that and then put the toilet on top of that, then squish the toilet into the wax ring and then screw the nuts onto the two bolts that are attached to the flange?

Correct.

Comment

Get a second person to eyeball the placement of the toilet on the wax ring. I think you'll agree that you want to get that one right the first time.

Comment

After much studying on this and watching videos I have come to the conclusion(could be wrong) that some flanges use concrete screws to hold them down. Then there are others that drop into the PVC or metal pipe and then have three or four screws that you tighten and it compresses a rubber gasket to seal it down in the hole. They may or may not need concrete screws but I bet they do. I have ceramic tile and have noticed mine have rocked more and more over the years. I am probably going to attempt this tommorrow wish me luck. Oh and it looks like they offer cast iron and PVc ones that even screw down and tighten up as they compress the rubber thing a ma jiggy. LOL I just cant believe these dipshits that remodled my bath rooms used the old shit when new is so cheap. If I can get by with it I am going to try to use the little half moon things but it just depends on what it looks like under there.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've used the repair flanges that compress the rubber gasket. They work pretty well. Do yourself a favor, and spring for the best one you can find. Now is not the time to skimp.Buy an extra wax ring while you're there. Just in case.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Yeah I think I may wait and just order cast Iron online. LOL I may go by ace today and check out there stuff.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Piece O cake. Freakin less then an hour to rip both out and reset them with re enforced wax rings. 1 st one they set with caulk under it so it eventually worked loose and rocked. It had a cast iron base though so it went back together smooth with a shim and a set of new bolts. The second one when I pulled it up the whole base came with it out of the ground. Looked like a half ass bolt in style and the rubbber that held it had disapeared. I was prepared and had the kind that screwed down and the rubber expands. Screwed that bitch in there with super strength, added new bolt kit, and then put the re enforced ring down. One shim in the front and boom thing is solid as a rock. I knew something was wrong with that one when I leaned forward one day and it tried to pitch me off. Best part is the wife is super happy. LOL
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Just poop in the shower like I do.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X