Wiring up GPS to bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring up GPS to bike

So, i purchased my mounts and wiring harness and everything is good to go.

Now i'm just trying to understand the best way for me to go about this. If I wire the connection direction to the battery, will it be a drain even if the GPS is not hooked up?

Should I run a relay setup to my ignition (lights)? Or is that even necessary?

PS: If my bike is in the garage, it's on the tender.
    Last edited by Skidmark; 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM.

good post. Been wondering about this myself.
    Originally posted by mutherjuggz
    That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

You can probably find some good info on this site. I didn't see a GPS installation, but there is one for a radar detector. Hope it helps.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/gsxrindex.html

Comment

That site mainly talked about installing the mount and using a cordless radar.

Comment

Does it have a constant power and a trigger wire to turn it on or is it allways wired on?

FWIW, my radio on my bike is wired hot/trigger and it has sat for months without loosing charge.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            Does it have a constant power and a trigger wire to turn it on or is it allways wired on?

FWIW, my radio on my bike is wired hot/trigger and it has sat for months without loosing charge.
            If I wire it to the battery it'll always have a draw. I don't think i'll be using the GPS all the time. I am not even sure if I understood your question right, but it's good to know you're not having issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
              If I wire it to the battery it'll always have a draw. I don't think i'll be using the GPS all the time. I am not even sure if I understood your question right, but it's good to know you're not having issues.
              It only has two wires, positive and negative?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Now i'm just trying to understand the best way for me to go about this. If I wire the connection direction to the battery, will it be a drain even if the GPS is not hooked up?
                if the GPS isn't hooked up, i woudn't imagine it draws any power.

does the connection have 2 wires? 12v+ and a ground?
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Yeppers, two wires.

Comment

Yeppers, two wires.
                    if it's a cable it wont drain anything unless you complete the circuit. a dock might drain a tiny bit depending on the design.

you just have to decide if you want the ability to power on anytime (direct to battery)
                    or
                    if you only want power once you switch the key to the on position.

just throw an inline fuse on the + wire and connect it up. i'm doing the same to a gps enabled device i've integrated into my bike. not for navigation but for theft recovery.
                    Last edited by momo; 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Does your bike have an acessory plug? I'd use it if so, most are PCM controlled and will shut off power if the voltage drops.

Comment

Brien I'll help you wire it up, got some extra wire, inline fuses, holders, etc @ the house. I'm down today after work..

Comment

If it is a concern, put a switch in the positive lead, that way you are sure to not have a draw, you can keep it powered while stopped and not loose uour route (if it doesn't save it, some do)and be able top turn it off at night if you don't want the light in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                            if it's a cable it wont drain anything unless you complete the circuit. a dock might drain a tiny bit depending on the design.

you just have to decide if you want the ability to power on anytime (direct to battery)
                            or
                            if you only want power once you switch the key to the on position.

just throw an inline fuse on the + wire and connect it up. i'm doing the same to a gps enabled device i've integrated into my bike. not for navigation but for theft recovery.
                            I probably would only have the GPS hooked up 50% of the time, so it doesn't sound like it'll be a killer on my charging system. Anyways, I now have a new battery, rectifier, and tomorrow a stator. lol.

The harness I ordered has an inline already, looks like i'm good to go!

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            Does your bike have an acessory plug? I'd use it if so, most are PCM controlled and will shut off power if the voltage drops.
                            Nope, though that would be pretty nice!

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                            Brien I'll help you wire it up, got some extra wire, inline fuses, holders, etc @ the house. I'm down today after work..
                            Thanks Kyle, though the bike is out of commission till tomorrow I've already got the airbox out, tank supported, and seat out in the garage so it should go really quick.

I'll roll by this weekend to let you check it out!

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            If it is a concern, put a switch in the positive lead, that way you are sure to not have a draw, you can keep it powered while stopped and not loose uour route (if it doesn't save it, some do)and be able top turn it off at night if you don't want the light in your face.
                            Not too concerned anymore! I just heard from another source before I made this thread that I should relay it to an ignition power source or it'll be an issue.

I'll just hard wire it to the battery and see what happens

Comment

That site mainly talked about installing the mount and using a cordless radar.
                              Sorry for the bogus link, then. Post up pics of your setup when you're done!

Comment

Working...
                              X