Good starter dirtbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good starter dirtbike

Whats a good starter dirt bike? Looking to get into riding, and was needing some advice. My GF's parents have a bunch of land and they ride all the time, not to mention you can ride on state game lands up here so I am going to start to get into it. Was looking at a 125cc, any brand really. Just need some advice and tips from you riders. Thanks.

I would have to say a 200? Cr or a Kx 500. Just kidding, If you are a smaller framed person a 125 would be fine. But if you are bigger go with a 250. I am not a fan of KTM's 2 strokes,but with the 4-strokes in any brand are really close in quality these days. If you are going to be doing trail riding the KLX's, DR-Z or CRF's would be better suited for that purpose. And with a 4 stroke you do not have to mix your fuel and oil.

Comment

I am small frame, 5'7" so yeah. lol

Comment

Are you riding in PA? It is a lot of woods/hill style riding, I'd probably look towards a wr250f, or a crf250x. Or anything KTM. Even an older KDX200/220 would be great if you like a 2 stroke. Not as punchy as a 250, but has more usable torque than a 125.

Comment

Ttr225 as a pure stater biker. Then anything with an electric start after that.
          http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Yeah this is in PA. Theres soooo many places to ride around here its not even funny. State game lands you can hunt on and ride on. I would mainly be trail riding, but my GFs brother is building a MotoX track on their property, however I am way not ready for that.....yet.

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

That guy is fucking retarded. That's at best a $1500 bike, probably more like $1000. I think you'll find the 125 challenging to ride. You have a very short band of usable power that comes on all at once. You're only talking 27-32HP, but it feels like it goes from 5-8hp to 30 at a certain rpm. Imagine in a stock mustang with 225hp hitting a 700hp shot of nitrous. For a little guy they can be a handful.

Plus, in changing elevation you'll have to get very used to riding on the pipe (or in the power). This will force you to be faster, help with commitment and so on, because you can't change your mind and having to get after it.

Comment

Makes sense. I was just using that bike as an example, I have no clue what to look for. I will look into those that you suggested. You sound like you know whats going on. Thanks!

Comment

find a used 250f. there are probably plenty on craigslist up there. stick newer aluminum frame bikes. the older ones are ok but some need to much attention as they get older. for yzf 2006-up, hondas 2002?- up, idk about the kawi or suzk

Comment

+1 on a 250F. They're cheap on the used market and easy to ride.

Comment

if you want low maintenance, get any sohc air-cooled motor. crf230 for example...

Comment

I'd watch buying a used, older 4stroke that has been through several owners, MX bikes. They are expensive to rebuild.

You could also look at the bike mentioned above or something along the lines of a Honda XR (200, 250, 400). You can not kill those bikes and they are pretty user friendly.

2 strokes are easy to work on, once you get the hang of it a top end rebuild can be done very quickly.

Comment

Get something similar to that TTR and learn to ride. Then step into something bigger/faster.
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                            X