No announcement yet.

Powder suggestion instead of IMR-800X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder suggestion instead of IMR-800X?

So I've been putting some plated .40 rounds together and this shit is so frustrating! Extremely inconsistent, varies as much as a grain up and down and I have a nice powder measure, granted it is an auto one mounted on my Dillon SDB. If I were putting together precision target rounds or some self defense loads I would take the time to measure each one out and weigh them, but for just making plated bullet rounds to kill paper, thats entirely unnecessary.

Any other powders you guys would suggest using? I'm guessing the measure I have just doesn't take well to flake powder.

Winchester WST or 231 (ball powder) will meter well. It's clean and decently cheap. I like the VihtaVuori (cylindrical) N320 but it's a little pricey. Hogdon Clays will also do the job and is cheap as well.
    It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Damn I just went and picked up some bullseye and universal to try out. Oh well, next time

Comment

I wouldn't start loading until my powder is measuring consistently, within a tenth or so but that's just the CJ has taught me.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Some of the IMR powders simply won't meter consistently.

And I can't remember if it was 700-X or 800-X (or a different one altogether), but one of them was a pretty slow, borderline magnum powder, not really something that would work well in .40 S&W. FWIW, I really liked Longshot for .40 and 10mm.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            I wouldn't start loading until my powder is measuring consistently, within a tenth or so but that's just the CJ has taught me.
            I dont. It was +/- .2 grains and I was loading 10% low so should be fine

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
            Some of the IMR powders simply won't meter consistently.

And I can't remember if it was 700-X or 800-X (or a different one altogether), but one of them was a pretty slow, borderline magnum powder, not really something that would work well in .40 S&W. FWIW, I really liked Longshot for .40 and 10mm.
            800x is absolute shit. I'll never buy it again unless I'm doing some match loads and using a trickler for each one. I know it burns slow but you get some damn nice velocities with it and it keeps the pressure in check.

I'll pick up some longshot as well next time I head to Mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
              Damn I just went and picked up some bullseye and universal to try out. Oh well, next time
              For plinking you cant beat bullseye. You can polish your powder die to get flake powders like unique to meter. But they have a tendency to bridge.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

800x is slower than W231 or Bullseye. Try Power Pistol, VV N340, HS-6, or AA-5.

Power Pistol is flexible, works well in powder droppers, and is pretty economical as well.

Comment

Frider is correct, like you showed 800x is for heavy bullets. I use it for 200gr 10mm .40 rounds. Its not the best choce for .40 sw bullet weights. I would suggest w231 because its a ball powder that measures excellently in a dillon. I personally use bullseye for plinking because since its the fastest burning you use the least per round, so its cheaper... But transversely less consistent on velocity.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I use HS-6 and get good results.

Comment

Working...
                    X