Tips for Tile Floor Removal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Tile Floor Removal??

I've got a small 5'x10' area by my front door that I want to re-tile. It currently has some ugly 12" tiles, and I'm looking for tips on what's the best way to get them out.

I started with a 5lb hammer and 2" chisel, and it's working alright. The tiles are typically shattering, leaving the motar that I have to spend more time chiseling out.

I've heard of people using an electric hammer, and also saw someone using one of those flat-edge blades Multi-tools that vibrates super-fast (started as an infomerical tool, and now Craftsman and Dremel make their own versions).

Seems like I can buy one of those cheapo multi-tools at Harbor Freight for $40, or rent an electric jackhammer from Home Depot for the same money. Or, I could just keep hammering away at it with the chisel.

I would just go apeshit on it with a sledgehammer, but that would make a huge mess and also still leave me to chisel up all the mortar.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Id go with the electric hammer...

I have had good luck with a 4" brick chisel (its worth the couple extra bucks for the hand guard one) and a mini sledge.

Comment

I've got bad news for you. Tile work is all about the prep. Electric/air hammers work well at getting the tile off the floor, it doesn't always do much for the old thinset. I use an old junk craftsman flat head screwdriver to pry up the old tiles with the help of a hammer to get under the tiles. This helps pull up the thinset with the tile. I use a 4 inch scraper to get the rest of the chunks and get the floor back smooth. It's more work than a air/electric hammer but the end result it better. If you are pulling up cheap clay tiles get ready for one hell of a mess.

Comment

I think that they're ceramic, but don't really know how to tell.

I spent a hell of a lot of time getting my kitchen/bathroom floors super clean, and you're right, it was worth it. This is only 50 sq ft, so it shouldn't be too bad, but the thinset is going to be an ass-whoopin.

I just spent about an hour putting together a big "wish list" on Harbor Freight's website, and am about to go pick everything up. Included in the list is a 4" brick chisel and that multi-tool I was talking about. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
          I think that they're ceramic, but don't really know how to tell.

I spent a hell of a lot of time getting my kitchen/bathroom floors super clean, and you're right, it was worth it. This is only 50 sq ft, so it shouldn't be too bad, but the thinset is going to be an ass-whoopin.

I just spent about an hour putting together a big "wish list" on Harbor Freight's website, and am about to go pick everything up. Included in the list is a 4" brick chisel and that multi-tool I was talking about. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks.
          Is the back of the tile coming up a redish color? A stand up floor scraper always worked fine for me in the past.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Ok, it's official...there is only one tool for the job...and it is the Hilti 706 Demo Hammer. I tried the multi-tool, and it didn't do shit. Total waste of money and time. So I went to Home Depot and rented their Demo Hammer, and in 20 minutes, all my tile was shoveled up into my garbage can. Piece of cake, but a lot of dust.

They also included a 6" scraper (looks like something out of Saw) that I'm going to use today to get up the remaining thinset, but that's going to be a piece of cake too (just more dust).

Also, because I rented it last night and they're closed today, I don't have to return it until Friday morning. I'm hoping that 6" scraper will work as well on the linoleum in my spare bathroom...then my house will be completely linoleum free!

So anyone looking to demo tile flooring, do yourself a huge favor and go rent one of these things. $51 total for 4hrs for everything you need, and it'll make the job a piece of cake.

Comment

Jason let me know if it works on the linoleum I need to tear up a couple hundred sq ft at my dads house. TIA
              2006 Civic SI
              2009 Pilot
              1988 GT
              CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Damn right it worked on the linoleum! Finished my small bathroom in about 10 minutes, all the way down to bare concerte! I'm just really pissed at myself for not having rented this thing right away. I bought a mason chisel, 3 bottles of adhesive remover, a 4" scraper and other things that added up to more than the cost of the rental of this machine, and it took me a couple of days of hard labor. This thing was a breeze.

Just be sure to tell them that you're taking up linoleum and they'll give you the big ass 6" scraper (an extra $8, but it's a must-have). I stood directly behind it and used both hands on the top of the machine for leverage. Didn't really use the side handle. The steeper the angle the deeper it'll dig. I didn't see it start to chunk away at my foundation at any point, and I was pretty aggressive in some spots.

Go rent it at the end of a day (less than 4hrs till they close), and they'll just charge you the 4hr rental ($51.08 total) and you can keep it overnight. You'll have no problem getting everything done.

Comment

Removing old tile just try to clear the floor of all unnecessary clutter that may get in the way of Tile Floor removal. Determine what is underneath the tile. Usually the support under tile consists of a thick bed of mortar, plywood or cement backer board. Different materials call for different removal techniques. Chip through both the tile and mortar, if that is the substrate, with a chisel and sledgehammer. If the tile is attached to plywood or cement backer board, chip it away from the substrate. Use a reciprocating saw to cut through the substrate, taking care not to damage the subfloor underneath. A carbide-grit masonry cutting blade will be necessary to cut through cement. Sweep the floor of all debris left over from the project.
                  Last edited by An72; 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Before you begin the task of Floor Tile removal, make sure you have the right kind of floor tile removal equipment that can help in making the task much easier for you. You would need a rotary tool, a chisel, a crowbar, putty knife, hand scraper, power scraper and a sledge-hammer. You can purchase them or you can avail them on rental basis. It is also important you protect yourself from the tile dust with proper safety gear like knee pads, gloves and goggles. Your other option is take a rent a heavy machine with two wheels and a vibrating blade in front that you walk behind, great for pulling up tile.

Comment

Spam
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I redid the entry way on our house...rented this big ass chisel/hammer tool with a 4 in. chisel. I had the tile up in less than 30 minutes and was able to use the same tool to break up any morter that didn't come up with tile. This was maybe a 5 x 10 area. Definately worth it.

Well, crap....I just realised this was brought back by the spammers. Glad you got it taken care of.
                        Last edited by GeorgeG.; 12-30-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X