Going to smoke a prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to smoke a prime rib

I just bought a 20 lb whole 7 bone prime rib last night. Going to try cooking it on the smoker this weekend.
    This will be my first smoked prime rib so I'll post up results. I plan to do an herb rub and cook it to about 130F and pull it off to let it rest.
    Has anyone done one before? I was thinking of putting it in a roasting pan to catch the drippings to make an au jus. Any thoughts on that?
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Prime rib without au jus is sacrilege. Also, smoked prime rib doesn't sound too good to me either. At least, not if eaten in the traditional style with horseradish. Willing to give it a try though since it looks as if you'll have some leftovers.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
      Prime rib without au jus is sacrilege. Also, smoked prime rib doesn't sound too good to me either. At least, not if eaten in the traditional style with horseradish. Willing to give it a try though since it looks as if you'll have some leftovers.
      I actually like horseradish sauce with my prime rib but I figured I'd do the au jus for those that prefer it that way.
      I have eaten smoked prime rib at restaurants before and it's great. Cooking it slow and low and adding the smoky goodness makes it even better than normal roasting IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
        I actually like horseradish sauce with my prime rib but I figured I'd do the au jus for those that prefer it that way.
        I have eaten smoked prime rib at restaurants before and it's great. Cooking it slow and low and adding the smoky goodness makes it even better than normal roasting IMO.
        I eat it with both au jus and horseradish!

Comment

I see some bad ass french dip sandwiches in your left over future.:wink1:

Comment

The only problem I see with smoking a prime rib is overcooking it. A good prime rib should be served rare. Basically high heat first to sear the outside, then higher temp cooking for long enough for the internal temp to reach a 120 degrees. Starting at 450 degrees for 15 min, then 325 degrees until temp.

Smoking usually requires maintaining a chamber temp of 225-250 degrees, sure you could get the temp higher with more wood.

Also, my understanding is that once you smoke a prime rib, the flavor profile changes completely and all the goodness that is prime rib, the meat's flavor, is overshadowed by the smoke.

Smoking, low and slow, is best for tougher cuts of meat that require longer cooking times to break down connective tissue.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              The only problem I see with smoking a prime rib is overcooking it. A good prime rib should be served rare. Basically high heat first to sear the outside, then higher temp cooking for long enough for the internal temp to reach a 120 degrees. Starting at 450 degrees for 15 min, then 325 degrees until temp.

Smoking usually requires maintaining a chamber temp of 225-250 degrees, sure you could get the temp higher with more wood.

Also, my understanding is that once you smoke a prime rib, the flavor profile changes completely and all the goodness that is prime rib, the meat's flavor, is overshadowed by the smoke.

Smoking, low and slow, is best for tougher cuts of meat that require longer cooking times to break down connective tissue.

Good luck
              I don't really see the problem as far as temperature. Whether you are cooking at a lower or higher temperature the doneness of the meat is the same if you cook it to the same internal temperature. The only difference I foresee would be that the temperature of the meat will be more even throughout the cross-section of it cooking at a lower temperature (ie not as much difference from edge to middle cooking on the smoker compared to higher temp roasting).
              The internal temp of one cooked at higher heat also will probably go up a little more as it rests than one cooked on the smoker.
              I plan to take it off at 130F, whereas I cook a brisket or butt to 185F in order to break down the collagen to gelatin.
              Whether you like the smoke is a matter of taste preference I guess. I've liked the smoked prime rib I've eaten before. Then again, I like almost any meat better when it's smoked.

Comment

I don't really see the problem as far as temperature. Whether you are cooking at a lower or higher temperature the doneness of the meat is the same if you cook it to the same internal temperature. The only difference I foresee would be that the temperature of the meat will be more even throughout the cross-section of it cooking at a lower temperature (ie not as much difference from edge to middle cooking on the smoker compared to higher temp roasting).
                The internal temp of one cooked at higher heat also will probably go up a little more as it rests than one cooked on the smoker.
                I plan to take it off at 130F, whereas I cook a brisket or butt to 185F in order to break down the collagen to gelatin.
                Whether you like the smoke is a matter of taste preference I guess. I've liked the smoked prime rib I've eaten before. Then again, I like almost any meat better when it's smoked.
                So we've heard...

Comment

Just my opinion, but I don't think this is going to turn out as you hope. As Matt said, smoking it is going to change the flavor profile completely. Good luck, though. Let us know how it turns out, and post pictures.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I wanna try this soon. Looks farking delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                      http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...&highlight=sc2

I wanna try this soon. Looks farking delicious.
                      $3.99/lb at Tom Thumb. Might as well do it now while it's cheap.

Comment

$3.99/lb at Tom Thumb. Might as well do it now while it's cheap.
                        Damn, that's pretty cheap. What grade is it? I need to find a butcher so I can buy a standing rib roast or prime rib so I can trim the ribs off and then cut my own ribeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                          Damn, that's pretty cheap. What grade is it? I need to find a butcher so I can buy a standing rib roast or prime rib so I can trim the ribs off and then cut my own ribeyes.
                          It's USDA Select. Looks to have pretty good marbling though.

Comment

Dont know how you liked your steak but I would pull it at 125*f. I have cooked about 4 prime ribs so far and they have all shot up 10-12* while resting. I agree that prime rib is better rare

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              Dont know how you liked your steak but I would pull it at 125*f. I have cooked about 4 prime ribs so far and they have all shot up 10-12* while resting. I agree that prime rib is better rare
                              I do like mine rare so think I will take your advice and pull it at 125. If any of my guests wants it more done I guess I'll just throw it on a hot grill for them after slicing it to get it to their desired doneness. I can't stand overdone prime rib.

Comment

Working...
                              X