First time on a 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time on a 450

Went out riding at I-35 in Thackerville yesterday and got a few laps in on an 07 YZF450...and I'm hooked. Soooo much easier to ride than even a 250, let alone my 230. Will be looking to pick up a newer 450 with FI in the fall.

Does this mean we can expect a new flock of 5 second wheelie and stoppie videos?
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Possibly, but you don't have any obligation to watch them, dick.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
        Possibly, but you don't have any obligation to watch them, dick.
        I wasn't trying to be a dick, douche. I actually enjoy them. I was just giving you a hard time because your video skills suck.
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
          Does this mean we can expect a new flock of 5 second wheelie and stoppie videos?
          lol!

FYI I been riding the motard around a bit, still got one last thing a damn oil leak the previous owner neglected to fix. Should be pretty easy appears to be around the starter.

I've been riding the 125 / trail / mx also. ridden a 250F too. I guess I just don't get it, what's so good about light bikes you have to rev the piss out of to do anything ?
          my 125 pisses me off to no end but I dont have any more dough to get a better dirt bike right now.
          you have to shift all the fucking time, I could deal with a 250F cause I'm not that good yet and the shifting/power band is a bit more forgiving.
          but the 125 is annoying on the trail, you have to clutch ALL THE TIME nearly. Then it has kind of random spurts of energy like typical two strokes.
          I'm sure it will teach me to be a better rider but it's just aggrevating.

After riding my 500 tard around I don't think a 450 dirt bike would be that bad. You could be at the wrong place in the gear and it would still go. I'm not saying i'd ever need the power, but the guys that are 'trail riders' typically ride 400+cc's . I think I see why .....it's just easier

what's wrong with that ? do they really wear you out faster ? eat tires like crazy ? feel heavy when riding them (i doubt that, it's more a factor of the suspension than anything)

If I could make my motard do dirt without 1000's of dollars and countless parts, I'd go for it. it's a great platform husqvarna put together, which is basically a modded 450 dirt bike with nice components. kinda fun sticking your leg out around a street corner !

Comment

My first, third, and fith dirtbike was a 86,89,and 92 KX500. Great bikes and just scary power. However no matter what gear you were in it just chugged right along up and over stuff. The worst part about them was cranking them. Never ever without a boot on. Tore the whole side out of my shoe one day and bruised the side of my calf like no other. When you were just poking around you could here it firing like it was barely turning the crank. I think my next bike if I can find one will be a AF500, light and fast. Very reliable also since you did not have to blip the throttle much to get it moving.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I just picked up an 09 YZ450F myself. The power is a major advantage on the trails. The bike does require more energy in the tight stuff because of the weight, so it can be a bit taxing. When it opens up, and there's nasty climbs, that's where the bike shines.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                My first, third, and fith dirtbike was a 86,89,and 92 KX500. Great bikes and just scary power. However no matter what gear you were in it just chugged right along up and over stuff. The worst part about them was cranking them. Never ever without a boot on. Tore the whole side out of my shoe one day and bruised the side of my calf like no other. When you were just poking around you could here it firing like it was barely turning the crank. I think my next bike if I can find one will be a AF500, light and fast. Very reliable also since you did not have to blip the throttle much to get it moving.
                I will agree that a 450 4 stroke will just torque over most things with little effort....but comparing a 450 4 stroke to a 500 2 stroke is just absurd. The 450 is much more controllable and predictable. The 500 is just rediculous, terrifying and insanely entertaining at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                  Went out riding at I-35 in Thackerville yesterday and got a few laps in on an 07 YZF450...and I'm hooked. Soooo much easier to ride than even a 250, let alone my 230. Will be looking to pick up a newer 450 with FI in the fall.
                  Nice !!!!Let's get a Dirtbike gtg gong.

I bought a crf250r because I think they are easier to ride than a 450. 450 is too hard for this old man to hold on to. I've had the 250 for about a month now and have been to muenster, buffalo creek and the pit and I'm happy with the power and handling.
                  Vortex rear stand $75
                  8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                  My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                  11 4 door
                  13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Just curious but what makes the the 450 easier than the 250? My biggest problem with the bigger bikes is that I am short.
                    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Ok, ok...my bad. I'll try to post up some more shitty cell phone vids again soon.

Only scary thing is that it's very easy to carry more speed than intended, so you'vegotta be careful. Lots o fun tho!

Comment

Its been years and years since I have been on a dirtbike so that 450 was pretty intimidating at first. I rode King Jasons and wish I had some more time on it and with some jumps...

Comment

For me, I was able to carry more momentum through the corners by riding a gear up (3rd usually) through the corners and slip the clutch to put the power down where I wanted it. On a 250f, I'm riding in the upper rpm range a lot more often and grabbing gears more often. Also just need a lot less room to gain speed, so you don't have to come out of corners so hot, and it's easy to pick up the front tire and power out of deep berms.

I went faster and jumped further on my 2nd lap on the 450 than i ever had before. And I'm still a huge newb in the dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            I will agree that a 450 4 stroke will just torque over most things with little effort....but comparing a 450 4 stroke to a 500 2 stroke is just absurd. The 450 is much more controllable and predictable. The 500 is just rediculous, terrifying and insanely entertaining at the same time.
                            I rode the shit out of them bikes. Rebuilt the 86 like 5 times over 4 years because I started blowing up pistons. Hell my friend and I rode 2-3 times a week. Had Wells racing re sleave it and never had another issue. I even had the head milled a tad bit and it was bad ass. Was really really funny to see someone else get on it. Every single time they almost flipped it over backwards or came off the back. I remember they did a 1/4 mile race one time and I believe the KX500 beat a ZX11 in the quarter mile after they weighted the front down. As much as I loved them my next bike will prob be a Kawa 450 with electric start(getting old). I have my KFX700R to keep me happy for now but thats what the wife rides and shes almost done with school. I may get out to Shady on friday it needs to be rode.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I was wondering today how much I'd be compromising in terms of power and suspension if I went with a model with e-start. It always seemed like too much of a compromise, and that they were essentially trail bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X