Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heater box delete plate cut out and engine turned for my '66 Chevy pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater box delete plate cut out and engine turned for my '66 Chevy pickup.

Not sure anyone is interested in this, or if it's really considered "Fabrication", but I figured I'd post this up and kinda show the process. Once you get the machine set up, and get it figured out, it's pretty easy to do.

Since I'm putting an aftermarket air conditioning unit in the truck, I took the old heater box assembly out and tossed it. The A/C system came with a boring, thin ass piece of black sheet metal to bolt over the hole, but you know we can't have something like that !!

So, using the old heater box, a pattern was made and cut out of some aluminum we had laying around the shop, and smoothed up a little.

Then we got it thrown up on top of the mill and clamped it down.

Find a place to start and get after it. We use a rubberized abrasive stick called Cratex. It's a 1" diameter, so after each "circle", you move the machine on the "Xx" axis down .500", so they are overlapping. When you get to the end of the piece that you're working on, you have to start back over at the end you started on, but .500" down (moving the "Yy" axis in), and .250" over from your previous row, so they are offset, and overlapping still. A digital readout makes life MUCH easier, but you can do it without one by turning your "Xx" axis handle 2 1/2 turns, clockwise. Each full revolution is .200"

Sorry some of the pictures are blurry--I was trying to run the machine and take a picture at the same time. Sounds dangerous, but this thing turns VERY slow rpms when doing this, so it's very easy to work around.

And after some clean-up and painting, with the panel installed !

-Aaron

thats cool man! One question I have always wondered with engine turned aluminum, does the pattern wear off after a few heavy cleanings?

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
      thats cool man! One question I have always wondered with engine turned aluminum, does the pattern wear off after a few heavy cleanings?
      Thanks !

Not that I've noticed. You'd have to be cleaning it really fucking hard to wear it off. We always spray some rattle can lacquer clear over it anyways, just to give it a little extra protection.

-Aaron

Comment

That truck's going to end up WAY nicer than the mustang!
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          That truck's going to end up WAY nicer than the mustang!
          Ehhhh, I don't know man.

I just had to spend a big chunk of my truck money for the cruise my wife and I are going on in October for our 10th anniversary, so it looks like the paint is going to be put off for now.

I'm going to go ahead and get the body work done on it and prime the spots that I have to fix, and concentrate on getting the inside done. Hopefully my seat will get some leather thrown down on it in the next week or so !

Me and the old man started mounting everything for the A/C yesterday, and then it just got to the point to where it was so God Damn hot in the shop we just had to call it a day, so I'll get some more done to it on Saturday.

Picked up a 5 speed to go in it the other day too, so it will be highway-cruising-worthy ! Woot !!

I got the engine bay pretty much completely cleaned up and painted, and got the engine painted the other day, so it looks like an ENTIRELY different truck under the hood !!

-Aaron

Comment

very cool...

Comment

that's pretty pimp Arron.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
                very cool...
                Originally posted by Baron View Post
                that's pretty pimp Aaron.
                Thanks fellas !

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                  Thanks fellas !
                  I liked it my way better. You are forever called A-ron from here on.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

looks good aaron might be a dumb question but why not go with a different style fastener? maybe flush mount allen key type bolts, or is this thing not going to be that serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      I liked it my way better. You are forever called A-ron from here on.
                      LOL, it's funny that you say that, because my wife's grandma used to swear that I told her my name was spelled Aron, so EVERY birthday and Christmas present I ever got had Aron on it. She was a really sweet old lady. RIP Lois.

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                      looks good aaron might be a dumb question but why not go with a different style fastener? maybe flush mount allen key type bolts, or is this thing not going to be that serious?
                      Well, they screw into a big fucking hole, like a coarse thread body bolt, and we didn't have anything that big, so I just cleaned up the bolts and painted them.

This is just going to be a clean beater for me to drive around and pinstripe out of, and be nice enough for me to make some money on when I get ready to sell.

-Aaron

Comment

Aaron, that looks too damn good to have those stock bolts put on there. Too bad some carriage bolts wouldn't work. Great job, as usual.
                        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Nice!

I like to see when someone goes that extra distance to make something look nice, good job!

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                            Nice!

I like to see when someone goes that extra distance to make something look nice, good job!
                            Thanks Brooks ! It looks a hundred times better than the plain black piece of sheet metal that came with the A/C kit !!

I think even little custom touches make a difference.

Comment

awesome man!
                              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X