Path to American Iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path to American Iron?

Matt, care to give us a timeline of your racing career? Are you still racing in AI?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

I think he changed his setup to compete in ST2.

Comment

Is there a maximum post length?! This could get long! LOL!

The best thing to do to get started in AI, or CMC for that matter, is to read the rule books from NASA. There are TWO sets of rules, the base Club Code and Regulations which is about 200 pages, then the class rules for AI or CMC. reading these will explain a lot of terminology and present you with the path to getting a full competition license. You can attend a Barber or Bondurant Racing school but that gets REAL expensive.

General path is to start out doing HPDE events and learning car control skills, passing drills and paying attention to flag and corner worker stations. Some guys pick it up quick, others take some time. You will generally work your way up through the 4 rankings in HPDE and eventually, when you are ready, bring a legal race car and get "checked out" for a provisional license.

Then, it's off to the races learning racing techniques like setting up a pass, completing the pass and going 101% for up to 40 minutes at a time with a pack of wolves nipping at your rear bumper.

Every driver's path is a little different but it's best to figure out where you would like to end up before you start. That way you can customize your skills and knowledge to save money and expedite your path through the training programs. It also helps you get in touch with the right people who can help along the way.

for reference, my path was:

2001...bought a mustang.
      2003...Andrew and BJ talked me into going to a LSBMWCCA autox out on the big lot at TMS.
      2003 to 2004...added suspension parts to the car which kept it out of CMC and forced me into AI.
      2004 did my first track day
      Early 2005, did my second track day and progressed to highest group at end of day one.
      Late 2005...finished building the car and began instructing.
      2006...started my rookie race season in AI here in TX.
      2007...Ran a short season in AIX
      2008...Ran AI, took 6th at the national championships after running as high as 4th.
      2009...Ran AI, took 3rd at Nationals
      2010...Ran one race in ST2...I won it!
      2011...Taking year off to focus on our school and moved to CS.
      2012... Hoping to run a full season of ST2 but need a few upgrades on the car.

My path is certainly not typical. It was very quick but I attribute that to the Couple years of AutoX which honed the car control skills....I guess I was sort of a natural talent too.

Are there specific questions I didn't answer?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
        Is there a maximum post length?! This could get long! LOL!

The best thing to do to get started in AI, or CMC for that matter, is to read the rule books from NASA. There are TWO sets of rules, the base Club Code and Regulations which is about 200 pages, then the class rules for AI or CMC. reading these will explain a lot of terminology and present you with the path to getting a full competition license. You can attend a Barber or Bondurant Racing school but that gets REAL expensive.

General path is to start out doing HPDE events and learning car control skills, passing drills and paying attention to flag and corner worker stations. Some guys pick it up quick, others take some time. You will generally work your way up through the 4 rankings in HPDE and eventually, when you are ready, bring a legal race car and get "checked out" for a provisional license.

Then, it's off to the races learning racing techniques like setting up a pass, completing the pass and going 101% for up to 40 minutes at a time with a pack of wolves nipping at your rear bumper.

Every driver's path is a little different but it's best to figure out where you would like to end up before you start. That way you can customize your skills and knowledge to save money and expedite your path through the training programs. It also helps you get in touch with the right people who can help along the way.

for reference, my path was:

2001...bought a mustang.
        2003...Andrew and BJ talked me into going to a LSBMWCCA autox out on the big lot at TMS.
        2003 to 2004...added suspension parts to the car which kept it out of CMC and forced me into AI.
        2004 did my first track day
        Early 2005, did my second track day and progressed to highest group at end of day one.
        Late 2005...finished building the car and began instructing.
        2006...started my rookie race season in AI here in TX.
        2007...Ran a short season in AIX
        2008...Ran AI, took 6th at the national championships after running as high as 4th.
        2009...Ran AI, took 3rd at Nationals
        2010...Ran one race in ST2...I won it!
        2011...Taking year off to focus on our school and moved to CS.
        2012... Hoping to run a full season of ST2 but need a few upgrades on the car.

My path is certainly not typical. It was very quick but I attribute that to the Couple years of AutoX which honed the car control skills....I guess I was sort of a natural talent too.

Are there specific questions I didn't answer?
        natural talent or huge balls. that was always my downfall. I always wanted to lift. Now I drive a jetta, go figure

Comment

Working...
        X