Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, So help me get this Harley started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, So help me get this Harley started...

So I got this Harley that hasn't been started in about 16 months. It's a 2006 HD Softail Standard, FI model.

So I know I've gotta drain the tank, but do you think I need to go through any tank cleaning/sealing process?? Will the FI system be clogged up, as a carb would?

I'm going to change the oil and primary fluid, but other than putting air in the tires, I can't think of anything else I should check before cranking it over. The battery is new and has been on a tender.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Should I go to HD for the fluids?? They make it easy, but I'm sure they're 2x more expensive than a Motul or whatever V-Twin oil that I can get at Cycle Gear.

Personally I would just change the fluids with cycle gear provided fluid, drain tank (probably turpentine by now) fill with fresh gas, bleed brakes, fire it up, and go ride the piss out of it.

I find that lots of problems on rarely ridden bikes are solved with basic maintenance and a few hours of "riding the piss out of it."
    US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

they say change brake/clutch fluid every two years because of the moisture build up....other than that i would inspect the belt, oil/filter, fresh gas, new plugs are cheap enough, and knock the dust off the air filter...

Comment

injector could be clogged and you might price it. they tend to be expensive for yamaha's so for harley only god knows

Comment

Just picked up all the fluids and gaskets ($80 fuckin dollars) and a fluid pump and am gonna drain the gas and change the fluids. Hope to go for a ride tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
            Just picked up all the fluids and gaskets ($80 fuckin dollars) and a fluid pump and am gonna drain the gas and change the fluids. Hope to go for a ride tonight.
            If its working, there's a pretty large group of us going out south in the morning.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks, but I'm not into group rides at all.

I couldn't get the pump to pull any fluid out, so I dumped a bottle of fuel stabilizer in there on top of the bad gas, filled it up with fresh fuel and it started right up. I aired-up the tires and took it out for a quick spin. Now that the fluids are warm I'm going to drain and re-fill them all. Nothing better to do when it's 103 outside.

Comment

jason, endo/wheelie vids soon. make it happen. lol.
                2006 Civic SI
                2009 Pilot
                1988 GT
                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                  Thanks, but I'm not into group rides at all.

I couldn't get the pump to pull any fluid out, so I dumped a bottle of fuel stabilizer in there on top of the bad gas, filled it up with fresh fuel and it started right up. I aired-up the tires and took it out for a quick spin. Now that the fluids are warm I'm going to drain and re-fill them all. Nothing better to do when it's 103 outside.
                  Uh, on a harley? What else is there?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I put some stock slip ons back on mine and damn it is quiet. I thought when I got it they were stock but then looked at them when I pulled them and it said "competition use only, does not meet EPA noise requirements". LOL I am getting old I know but until we build our next house in the country I am trying to be nice to my neighbors.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I went on a nice solo ride thru Justin and Argyle yesterday morning...plenty of fun for me.

Mine has V&H pipes that are sufficiently loud, but not obnoxious. About the same as the shorty Erion pipe on my 954.

Comment

Working...
                      X