Barefoot/minimalist shoe runners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barefoot/minimalist shoe runners...

The barefootrunners.org Texas chapter members in North Texas are getting together in Plano at the Oak Point Nature Preserve at 9am on Sunday 7/10/11. Barefoot, Vibram, Nike Free, shod runners curious to try barefooting, etc are welcome. The path around the lake is only .8miles, so anyone new to running or trying barefoot running for the first time, won't be locked in for a long run or anything. My wife and I are running in the Too Hot to Handle at White Rock and then heading over.

Also meetup.com/Barefoot-McKinney is getting together for a run at Roy Lee Walker Elementary in McKinney at 6am Sat 7/16/11, if anyone is interested. We are planning on a 10k run made up of 2 seperate 5k loops through the neighborhood.

The hardest thing about barefoot running for me, so far, has been finding a way to contact and get together with other barefooters I can run with. Thought this might help anyone interested.

-Jonny
    2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
    '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

my vibrams gave me a blister on my outer right heel.
    Although, I did go in reverse and got me a pair of nike pegasus since my long runs are getting longer

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
      my vibrams gave me a blister on my outer right heel.
      Although, I did go in reverse and got me a pair of nike pegasus since my long runs are getting longer
      Interesting... Injinji socks may help. I haven't been running in mine, but when I did, the socks prevented both smell and blisters...

-Jonny
      '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
        The barefootrunners.org Texas chapter members in North Texas are getting together in Plano at the Oak Point Nature Preserve at 9am on Sunday 7/10/11. Barefoot, Vibram, Nike Free, shod runners curious to try barefooting, etc are welcome. The path around the lake is only .8miles, so anyone new to running or trying barefoot running for the first time, won't be locked in for a long run or anything. My wife and I are running in the Too Hot to Handle at White Rock and then heading over.

Also meetup.com/Barefoot-McKinney is getting together for a run at Roy Lee Walker Elementary in McKinney at 6am Sat 7/16/11, if anyone is interested. We are planning on a 10k run made up of 2 seperate 5k loops through the neighborhood.

The hardest thing about barefoot running for me, so far, has been finding a way to contact and get together with other barefooters I can run with. Thought this might help anyone interested.

-Jonny
        I hate running with other people. When I run, I just want myself and my music. I run barefoot as well. Much more fun to do when at the beach like I did earlier this year. I like to do at least 6 miles a day.
        HD Parts
        paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

These Nile pegasus are killing me, thought they were supposed to be cushioned? Luckily I got them from academy, think I'll return them and get another pair of Nike free run or 7.0

Comment

These Nile pegasus are killing me, thought they were supposed to be cushioned? Luckily I got them from academy, think I'll return them and get another pair of Nike free run or 7.0
            Get some lunar glides! Or go get fitted for the proper shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Or go get fitted for the proper shoe.
              i am gonna do this today when i pick up our "race packets" from run or for the 5k this weekend. i sure hope i beat my time from the last one.

i tried on a pair of the 5 fingers and hated them, i have been running in some old crappy nikes, i am running about 4.5 miles every other day and the runs keep getting longer so i figured i should at least get some good kicks.

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Get some lunar glides! Or go get fitted for the proper shoe.
                Local run store recommended the Pegasus for neutral stride. I have taken the free runs up to about 6 miles but since I'm working up to half marathon figured I needed something more cushioned, already returned the lunar swift for the Pegasus and now aggravated my runners knee. I'll just get some more free runs or 7.0 and if need just stick a gel insole if I need it. Weighing 250# doesn't help either but slowly losing it

Comment

Anyone try kinvaras2?
                  Trying them on they felt real nice.

Comment

Anyone try kinvaras2?
                    Trying them on they felt real nice.
                    They are a performance neutral shoe so you ain't gonna get any cushion with them.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Kinvaras are minimalist...

Have y'all tried the NB 900 series for cushioning?

And don't forget running shoes go bad eventually...

Comment

Took the kinvaras 2 on a 6.3 mile run. Felt more in my calves (lower heel drop, 4mm) but overall better than the Nike free runs. They have more cushion with a minimalist style that helped with the longer distance. Felt good right out the box with no "break in"

Comment

My GF is a running shoe pro, and a runner. She's about to do the chicago marathon in October. I'll have her post her thought on this thread later.
                          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Jfrog, your legs are designed to be optimum shock absorbers and work much better than a 1/4"-1" slab of rubber under your heal. Adjust your form and it won't matter what you put or don't put on your feet. Even RD "The anti-barefooter" will back me up on this.

I'll be out at the nature preserve in Plano tomorrow and every Sunday at 7am, so anyone that wants to put in a leisurely 4-5 mile run, shoes, barefeet or wheel chair, come on out!
                            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                              I hate running with other people. When I run, I just want myself and my music. I run barefoot as well. Much more fun to do when at the beach like I did earlier this year. I like to do at least 6 miles a day.
                              Do you listen to music geared towards a 180 steps/min cadence? Just curious. I don't listen to music when I run, but if I ever start, I thought that might help me keep my form/pace. Are you on Barefootrunners.org??

-Jonny
                              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X