Ok, school me on Receivers for surround sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, school me on Receivers for surround sound

Ok, people who know me know I am old. I am seeing a lot of new names in the home theater world. I have an old 2003 Kenwood 6.1 channel receiver. (VR707) I have always used the optical audio hook up instead of the RCA 6 channel or coaxial hook up. Never been real happy with the quality itself. I don't have a real expensive speaker set up, two bookself bose speakers up front, two bookself bose speakers for surround sound, A realistic 12" subwoofer with 200 watt amp and a cheap pioneer center channel speaker.

I am seeing Denon and a few other brands I have never seen before. Shit I saw a Marantz on an open box buy for $898.00 I thought these were cheap now days? I know in the old days they were very nice. I am looking for a descent (not top of the line) surround sound receiver. What do you guys suggest? I am really hoping the HDMI will help clear up a lot of the guessing in how to hook these things up correctly.

TIA for your input. The old guy.

i just got into the surround thing since buying a house a year ago. I went with a Denon receiver with Definitive Technology surrounds,center and sub.

I did alot of research before buying the Denon cause i had never heard of that brand, from what i found they have been around for a while and is prolly the best bang for the buck receiver you can buy. There are higher end ones out there but for the money I dont think you can beat a Denon. My only complaint about the Denon is it seems as though the receiver will cut the sub off when I am watching a show with little to no bass input.

Comment

If you already have a 6.1 then buy some decent speakers.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
        I have to agree. Your Kenwood is putting out 100w X6 channels. I think you'd be surprised what a nice set of speakers and sub will do with your current unit. Use it until it pukes (it may drop a channel, etc) then go spend the money on a new one.

<------------- at LEAST as old as you. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
          i just got into the surround thing since buying a house a year ago. I went with a Denon receiver with Definitive Technology surrounds,center and sub.

I did alot of research before buying the Denon cause i had never heard of that brand, from what i found they have been around for a while and is prolly the best bang for the buck receiver you can buy. There are higher end ones out there but for the money I dont think you can beat a Denon. My only complaint about the Denon is it seems as though the receiver will cut the sub off when I am watching a show with little to no bass input.
          That sounds like a very nice set up.

Comment

What would be a descent brand of speakers? I have always liked the sound of my Bose speakers, truthfully I have some doubts if I actually have every thing hooked up correctly. I am using the optical hook up which does not incorporate the 6.1 mode. I'm not sure how to hook it up to the 6.1 . My Bluray player is a Samsung BD-c5900. That is why I was thinking of upgrading the receiver to just use the HDMI cable and take the guess work out of figuring it out if it is hooked up correctly or not. (yeah, the clock is flashing on the VCR)

Comment

Optical is a digital signal and will give you 5.1. I have all of my system hooked up using optical or coax digital. Speakers really depend on your budget. My SVS sub cost more that most peoples compete system.
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Optical is a digital signal and will give you 5.1. I have all of my system hooked up using optical or coax digital. Speakers really depend on your budget. My SVS sub cost more that most peoples compete system.
                Actually that answered a lot of my question. I was not sure what optical gave me. I can't picture 6.1 being that much greater. I will leave well enough alone for a while.

Comment

Working...
                X