Clear All

• cooking ribs in the oven

what do yall do?

Cook time
    Temp
    wrapped or un-wrapped
    seasoning/sauce

I need to get a cheap smoker so I can do it right

I put mine in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes, take them out and dry them well, hit them liberally with a dry rub, then put them in the oven uncovered.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I wash them and dry them. (I have no idea why) Then, I add salt, pepper, sweet and smokey rub, brown sugar, a bit of chili powder and some garlic/onion powder. I cover them and bake for maybe 30 mins? Then, bake uncovered for 15-20 and add bbq sauce on at the last minute and bake for maybe 5 more minutes.

Your best bet is probably to season, toss on a grill for a bit then bake to finish cooking.

Comment

Hit them up very liberally with a rub then throw them, covered, in a 225 degree oven for 5-6 hours.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Pork ribs with Sweet Baby Rays meat side down covered in foil for 90 minutes @350. After that just throw them on the gril for 7-8 minutes per side with more sauce and they turn out great for us.

Comment

I've been working on this one a few times and it's getting better. Last time I rinsed and patted them down with a towel. Stubbs dry rub, wrap in saran wrap a few times then foil (just to keep the mess down) and marinate for 24hrs. Fill roasting pan with about an 1/8" of apple juice and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 250 for 2 1/2 hours flipping once halfway through. Sauce and grill on low, indirect heat 10 minutes each side. I'm my own worst critic and was pretty satisfied with this one. I may reduce bake time by about 20 minutes next time just to see what that does. This was for pork, btw.

Comment

thanks for the tips.

Goin to HEB to pick some out and try it out sometime this week

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                I've been working on this one a few times and it's getting better. Last time I rinsed and patted them down with a towel. Stubbs dry rub, wrap in saran wrap a few times then foil (just to keep the mess down) and marinate for 24hrs. Fill roasting pan with about an 1/8" of apple juice and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 250 for 2 1/2 hours flipping once halfway through. Sauce and grill on low, indirect heat 10 minutes each side. I'm my own worst critic and was pretty satisfied with this one. I may reduce bake time by about 20 minutes next time just to see what that does. This was for pork, btw.
                So let me get this straight cause I dont want to fuck up an expensive rack of ribs.
                Rinse the ribs and pat down with towel. Is this to bring them to room/water temp or for the rub to stick?
                Then apply Stubbs and wrap them in saran wrap + foil and let sit in fridge for 24hrs.
                Im assuming to unwrap them out of wrap and foil and put them in a pan with apple juice, which side down first, meat or bone?
                When I put them on the grill what sauce are you recommending?
                And also why not direct heat, like on my grill fire is coming out and if it starts dripping them I have a full fire going, should I put them on the top rack and let them simmer there?
                Sorry if im asking too many questions but, I just cant make ribs on the grill they always get burned and they are never cooked correctly.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  So let me get this straight cause I dont want to fuck up an expensive rack of ribs.
                  Rinse the ribs and pat down with towel. Is this to bring them to room/water temp or for the rub to stick?
                  Then apply Stubbs and wrap them in saran wrap + foil and let sit in fridge for 24hrs.
                  Im assuming to unwrap them out of wrap and foil and put them in a pan with apple juice, which side down first, meat or bone?
                  When I put them on the grill what sauce are you recommending?
                  And also why not direct heat, like on my grill fire is coming out and if it starts dripping them I have a full fire going, should I put them on the top rack and let them simmer there?
                  Sorry if im asking too many questions but, I just cant make ribs on the grill they always get burned and they are never cooked correctly.
                  I rinse them and pat them dry just to help the rub stick a little before wrapping them. Unwrap them completely and then put them in a roasting pan, but don't plop them down in the juice, use a roasting rack or cooling rack in the bottom of the pan to keep the ribs elevated. I usually do meat side down first, but I don't have a good reason for it. Cover tightly with foil. You want to keep as much moisture in as possible. As for sauce, use what you like. Right now I've got some KC Masterpiece special something or other from Costco that's decent. Sweet Baby Ray's and Stubbs are both good as well. I don't do direct heat because you don't want to undo what all that time in the oven had done by drying them out. The grill is really just to add some grill/char flavor and to set the sauce. I have a gas Weber and I'll turn the front and rear burner on low and the middle burner off. If you don't think you get can the bottom rack low enough, try them up top. It may take you a couple of times to find exactly how you like them, but I think this method will work out much better than your past experiences.

Comment

Boo to oven ribs! If you can't smoke, cook them on the grill. And make sure and peel the silverskin!
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I use to cook my ribs in the oven before i had a smoker.

St Louis cut, marinate w/ my own dry rub over night in the fridge.
                      Wrap in foil, 225' for 5 hours. Pull them out, uncover, put them on the grill, slop some Ruby's bbq and cook for 15min, done.
                      You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        And make sure and peel the silverskin!
                        Thanks for that little tid bit of info, I'm following Jimmys recipe to the 'T'. I couldn't find Stubbs, so Im using Emerils all natural dry rub, it smells good too. I went head and added cracked pepper and salt. They are in the fridge as we speak, tomorrow ill come home early from work and proceed with the oven and grill. I have Rudys spicy sause, so Im rolling with that. Im going to pre-heat the grill to about the same temp and do the 10 minutes on each side, my mouth is watering just thinging about it...
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          Thanks for that little tid bit of info, I'm following Jimmys recipe to the 'T'. I couldn't find Stubbs, so Im using Emerils all natural dry rub, it smells good too. I went head and added cracked pepper and salt. They are in the fridge as we speak, tomorrow ill come home early from work and proceed with the oven and grill. I have Rudys spicy sause, so Im rolling with that. Im going to pre-heat the grill to about the same temp and do the 10 minutes on each side, my mouth is watering just thinging about it...
                          Good luck!

Comment

I just came back from the store and holy balls it smells good up in hur!

Comment

Thanks Jimmy, your recipe was the shit! Before I put them on the grill they were dripping moist. A couple of turns on the grill and they were perfect, again the only changes were the rub and I used Rudys sauce, of course I took full credit as far as my wife was concerened.

Comment

Working...
                              X