MSC Anyone taken it yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSC Anyone taken it yet?

Motorcycle saftey course I am signed up for marshall on aug 6th. Just wondering what to expect.

Loud exhaust got me in trouble today, got sited for no M endorsement...he got pissed beacuse I was passing too fast.

IMHO it is just not safe to dilly dally in the left lane when passing on a two lane. Moreso on a motorcycle.

Anyone know what kind of bikes they provide?

I took mine in 1987 and they used Honda Rebel 250's. Lotta discussion, some helpful techniques and advice, and a bit of riding between cones, safety braking, etc. Its an easy class and its also good for an insurance discount.

Comment

Probably Honda Rebel 250s. (beat me to it)

Get gloves and a helmet now. You should be able to wear jeans, something long-sleeve, and closed-toed shoes (preferably boots) for the rest of your protective gear. Obviously, buying all of it first and breaking it in a little would be best. Just go in with an open mind, work on your balance for making tight turns, and you'll be fine.

Comment

Just to add onto the above... when I took the course I could wear jeans. I was able to wear a long sleeve tshirt, and my shoes had to come above the ankle. They don't have to be riding shoes, just something that goes up.

I brought my full face helmet when I did the course, but after about 10 minutes I put it in the car, and used their open faced helmets. Too hot cruising around in circle in a full face!

You will focus on friction zone and they will be watching for things like if you're covering your front brake when cruising or not using both brakes, but that'll be easy breezy for you since you already ride.

Comment

i did mine 4 years ago, have about the same feedback as skidmark. you needed gloves also.

good luck with this heat, i did mine in the month of may and it was hot as shit. wear a camelbak with ice water.
          www.hppmotorsports.com
          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post

good luck with this heat, i did mine in the month of may and it was hot as shit. wear a camelbak with ice water.
            Or spice things up a bit and wear a camelback full of your favorite cold alcoholic beverage

Comment

One more thing....Sunblock! A guy I work with came in from his first day of class yesterday and looked like a lobster on his neck since he wasn't wearing a jacket.

Comment

i have been riding for a decade but ill probably do msc this winter when it cools off. i have been pulled over a few times and never cited so im past due.

Comment

i did the MSC back in Feb was the perfect weekend around 70 all day and overcast. they had 2 250's and the rest were 125's you have to be compleatly retarded to not pass this class we had a girl crash on the test and she still pased but that could be cause she was so hot!

Comment

Covering the Brake? Like when you know your getting close to stopping and having you fingers extended to grab the brake if need be?

I can deal with hot weather pretty well, but I think a camel back might just be a good investment.

I assume this will just be a trailer in a big parking lot and our vehicles will be close by. So bringing an ice chest could be helpful?

Comment

Originally posted by noshine4mine View Post
                      Covering the Brake? Like when you know your getting close to stopping and having you fingers extended to grab the brake if need be?

I can deal with hot weather pretty well, but I think a camel back might just be a good investment.

I assume this will just be a trailer in a big parking lot and our vehicles will be close by. So bringing an ice chest could be helpful?
                      Like when moving around and not braking, make sure to keep your hand away from the front brake! Only bring it up if you need the brake. They were yelling at folks who were covering.

Yea, ours was a big trailer in a high school football stadium. Ours had water, but I think it'd still be a solid idea to take a cooler and water/gatorade.

Comment

Working...
                      X