Bulk up work outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk up work outs

Virtually a noob at working out... Hit the weights hard several years ago, but without direction or routine. I'm going to swing by Fitness 2000 and find out about a gym. Small well equipped gym and close to home, but isn't 24 hr. Looking for a good upper body, torso work out. Looking for definition and not Arnold size. Plus I don't have the time to work out for hours a day. I have greatly increased my cardio (running) and want some upper body. Reply or pm ur weekly workout schedule!

So you're not gonna work out your lower body? Doesn't sound like a very good start.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

exactly... wheels are the foundation
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Learn how to build the best bulking program for you, broken down from the basic to advanced methods of bulking to lay out a training program you can build from.

Best info I've read.
        Ded

Comment

if you have a smart phone download the jefit app, i recently downloaded it and am starting one of the routines on it, they have everything from beginner to advanced

Originally posted by DOHCTR
          You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

So you want a lean muscle workout, not a bulking workout?

Comment

Dorian Yates

Shit fucks you up!

Comment

Most of your bulk is IN your lower body.
                www.crossfit.com

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                  if you have a smart phone download the jefit app, i recently downloaded it and am starting one of the routines on it, they have everything from beginner to advanced
                  whats the app? cant find it on iphone.

god bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Flashstang04 View Post
                    Most of your bulk is IN your lower body.
                    While that's a way to look at it, I think he wants to increase in size...a bit in his upper body but maintain a lean physique. For some reason I think that he's under the belief that running is a lower body workout. While it is in a way, it's not that much of a muscular workout. He'll see definition as he burns fat, but if he's using resistance training up top, and none for the bottom, he won't be proportionate. Plus, working out the lower body will activate the core a lot more than the upper body, especially if you're doing squats.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      whats the app? cant find it on iphone.

god bless.
                      JEFIT is the name of it, might just be for the android

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                        JEFIT is the name of it, might just be for the android
                        Ya I cant find it either...

While that's a way to look at it, I think he wants to increase in size...a bit in his upper body but maintain a lean physique. For some reason I think that he's under the belief that running is a lower body workout. While it is in a way, it's not that much of a muscular workout. He'll see definition as he burns fat, but if he's using resistance training up top, and none for the bottom, he won't be proportionate. Plus, working out the lower body will activate the core a lot more than the upper body, especially if you're doing squats.
                        I run and road/mountain bike. Ill also integrate lower body work outs. Sorry, just needed more guidance up top.

Comment

this is my routine hardly spend more than 45 min in the gym.

all of these exercises i do 3 warm up sets (10 reps increasing weight each set) then one heavy working set until failure (i choose a weight i know i can't do more than 6 reps). i use dumbbells because i work out alone, late at night, and usually don't have a spotter.

/ = superset

monday: chest and back
                          incline dumbbell/ decline flyes
                          dumbbell pullovers/ reverse grip bent over barbell rows

tuesday: bi's and tri's
                          incline dumbbell curls/ standing inside dumbbell hammer curl
                          straight bar cable pushdown (both hands)/ reverse grip cable tricep pulldowns (one arm at a time)

wednesday legs and shoulders (i usually do this as one big superset 3 warmup 1 working)
                          squat or deadlift (i alternate between the two each week)/ leg curls/ barbell upright rows/ shrugs

now the last two days i do 4 sets and try and hit 15 reps

thursday chest and back
                          dumbbell flat bench/ dumbell flyes
                          wide grip cable pulldowns/ cable rows

friday bi's and tri's
                          barbell curl/ reverse barbell curl
                          tricep extensions/ dips

i run and do ab's on mondays, wednesdays and fridays before work then go to the gym at night when i get off.

every month i switch the exercises but keep the same type of split.

i also try and eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight which is a combo of grilled meats, shakes and protein bars. i try not to eat too many carbs but i cheat sometimes.
                          Last edited by jnobles06; 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                            Ya I cant find it either...

I run and road/mountain bike. Ill also integrate lower body work outs. Sorry, just needed more guidance up top.
                            I think I searched for "workout guides" or something in the market and it popped up. It's a pretty neat little program. Considering I'm surrounded by personal trainers though I just have them write me up some workouts.

Couple of different things that I really like and incorporate randomly in my routine. I'll get some dumbbells, put them on their sides a little more than shoulder width apart. I'll do 5 push ups on them, move down in between them and do five triangle push ups, go down to plank position for 10 seconds, 5 triangle pushups, then go back up to the dumbbells and do 5 more push ups. That's one set. I'll typically do 3 sets, but on the 3rd set I'm usually having to stop early. Pretty wicked chest excercise.

Another is getting a medicine ball, do 5 pushups to the left of the medicine ball, push off onto the medicine ball, 5 pushups, push off to the right of the ball, 5 more pushups. That's one set. Again, three sets, but I'm struggling like hell on the third.

You can make either of those harder by lifting a leg straight back while doing them.

Other than that, my chest is pretty standard with bench, incline, fly, etc. I usually use dumbbells though. Very rarely use barbells.

My back is pretty normal stuff. Lat pull downs, rows. I do like to get 50lbs dumbbells and get in a pushup position, and do one handed rows while TRYING to keep my core parallel to the ground. I should honestly probably lighten the weight and work on form more. It's a real bitch-a-roonie of an excercise.

Arms, I like to start out with somewhat of burnout excercises. I switch from lucky 7's, and doing a pyramid from week to week. Lucky 7's is where you have a curl bar, start from all the way down, go half way up 7 times, then start from half way and go all the way up 7 times, then do seven full motion reps seven times. I typically do this three times, increasing the weight each time. My normal pyramid is doing my sets like this 15 reps, 10 reps, 5 reps, 10 reps, 15 reps. Last time I did it I used 60lbs, 80lbs, 100lbs, 80lbs, 60lbs. Then I do basic shit after that. On my tri's like to start out with dips. I just do three sets to failure.

Shoulders are pretty basic, hang cleans(sometimes I do these on back day), military press, front and side lifts (I prefer resistance bands on these excercises), shrugs.

Legs, I do barbell squats, box jumps, weight sled, leg extension and curls, toe raises. Once in a blue moon I'll do a leg press, but I typically jump(push off hard enough to lose contact with the machine) in a skiing motion.

Comment

Compound Exercises and diet is all you need to bulk. I suggest drinking one gallon of whole milk a day plus regular bulking type meals IF you're a hard gainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X