PDA

View Full Version : Advantages/disadvantages of Farm Truck Tags

mustangguy289
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
We have a buyer for my truck and we are going to buy a cheap used truck for me to use on the farm and then a car to drive to work.

What are the restrictions of having Farm tags? What are the benefits? I have searched everywhere on TX's DMV website and can not find what I am looking for.

The truck will be used mainly on the farm. Occasionally it will pull the car to the track and the atv's to places to ride.

Thanks

Sean88gt
07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
They'll bust your ass pulling toys around. you are limited to 150 mile range unless doing something directly related to the farm.

Grimpala
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Can you run red diesel in it if it's tagged as a FT?

Sean88gt
07-18-2011, 10:06 AM
No.

Stunter Bob
07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Can you run red diesel in it if it's tagged as a FT?
ONLY if it never touches the road, As soon as it touches pavement its considered illegal because your not paying taxes on the fuel, that is used to maintain the roads.

If you do decide to run red fuel, I suggest getting a lock on your fuel tank, they can not dip the tank with a lock and it takes 2-3 days to obtain a warrant and by that time you can have the truck flushed out!

71chevellejohn
07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
ONLY if it never touches the road, As soon as it touches pavement its considered illegal because your not paying taxes on the fuel, that is used to maintain the roads.

So if the roads are in shitty condition, they can't do anything - right? /sarcasm

mustangguy289
07-18-2011, 10:19 AM

If you do decide to run red fuel, I suggest getting a lock on your fuel tank, they can not dip the tank with a lock and it takes 2-3 days to obtain a warrant and by that time you can have the truck flushed out!

It is easier than that. Get a tank put in the back. Run fuel hose and pump to i under truck. Keep regular diesel in your fuel tank for random checks. Plug the lines to that tank. Claim tank in bed is for filling tractors.

No what are the advantages of farm tags? Less taxes? No inspection? what?

Grimpala
07-18-2011, 10:23 AM
It is easier than that. Get a tank put in the back. Run fuel hose and pump to i under truck. Keep regular diesel in your fuel tank for random checks. Plug the lines to that tank. Claim tank in bed is for filling tractors.

A simple visual inspection will blow that theory out of the water.

Stunter Bob
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Your not that bright I can see. Its not that easy, They can check the fuel filter if they suspect your being sneaky.

And farm tags are just as they sound.

Read this, It explains in depth what your getting into.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_101.html

forbes
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
so will a sniffer, the fine isn't worth the risk or the small amounts of money you will save

mustangguy289
07-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Your not that bright I can see. Its not that easy, They can check the fuel filter if they suspect your being sneaky.

And farm tags are just as they sound.

Read this, It explains in depth what your getting into.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_101.html

Thanks and not worth the possible hassle to skip out on less than $1000 in taxes. BTW I am not even looking at diesels. So not even sure how we got on that topic.

Stunter Bob
07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks and not worth the possible hassle to skip out on less than $1000 in taxes. BTW I am not even looking at diesels. So not even sure how we got on that topic.
Most farmers drive Diesels.

mustangguy289
07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Most farmers drive Diesels.

Not always true. We never pull more than 5,000 lbs and for what we want to spend we can get much more truck if we go with a gas truck. Not saying my mind is closed to it if we found a great deal.

We did find a 04 F250 Lariat Crew 4x4 with the 6.0, 105k miles, small lift, mud tires for 14,995.

Stunter Bob
07-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Not always true. We never pull more than 5,000 lbs and for what we want to spend we can get much more truck if we go with a gas truck. Not saying my mind is closed to it if we found a great deal.

We did find a 04 F250 Lariat Crew 4x4 with the 6.0, 105k miles, small lift, mud tires for 14,995.
Not going to argue with you. Just telling you why we assumed you had a diesel.

If you have a "Farm" as you stated, then you would be hauling a little more than chicken feed in a bed of a truck.

Sounds like Farm tags wont do you any good.

dcs13
07-18-2011, 11:36 AM
"off road" diesel is not that much cheaper. Not worth the issues and you have to find a place that has it. I buy it in Van Alstyne..

mustangguy289
07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Not going to argue with you. Just telling you why we assumed you had a diesel.

If you have a "Farm" as you stated, then you would be hauling a little more than chicken feed in a bed of a truck.

Sounds like Farm tags wont do you any good.

Doesn't sound like it at all. Just for shits and giggles.... what can someone expect for fuel mileage out of a 2004 F250 Crew short bed Powerstroke?

txsr20de
07-18-2011, 06:52 PM

It's a "good deal" because it is a 6.0.

line-em-up
07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I changed to farm tags because our semi-retired truck is driven <1000 miles a year. It was $16 instead of $66. But, by the time they added all of the other bullshit farm taxes, it wasn't worth the savings and restrictions. The next time, I switched back.

whatbumper
07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
If you use your "farm" truck for anything that isn't farm related you can get a ticket. Even taking your kids to school or letting them drive your vehicle to school. The 150 mile limit only applies to 18 wheelers as far as I know. It's well worth it on them but I worked for a farmer that farmed 10K plus acres and we don't use farm tags for anything. Not worth the hassle and neither is red diesel. Red diesel is like
$.40/gallon less than clear.

SMKR
07-19-2011, 12:17 AM
So if the roads are in shitty condition, they can't do anything - right? /sarcasm

Loller

Chopped54
07-19-2011, 07:08 AM
My stepdad had the fuck everyone attitude. He ran farm tags, red diesel, and had 90 gal on his flat bed full of farm diesel.

hotrodcobra
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I make a living farming and have an aluminum gooseneck cattle trailer hooked up to my truck 90% of the time and couldn't even get farm tags when I bought the truck new because I don't have some tax number...but at least I can take my kids to school in it...lol

FastFox
07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
My stepdad had the fuck everyone attitude. He ran farm tags, red diesel, and had 90 gal on his flat bed full of farm diesel.

Maybe he had the right idea. If you play by the rules, you get screwed and don't even get a reach around. Hats off to him !

trailerparksuperstar
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I am not 100% on this, but my cousin swears the seat belt laws do not pertain to farm tagged vehicles. I have witnessed him being pulled over for speeding and the officer not even mention the fact he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

03TruBluGT, MACHx2, KingJason, TannerM......... any knowledge of this?

ram57ta
07-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Just ran a few errands and pulled up at a traffic light behind a newish Ford F-150 King ranch with Farm Truck tags...leaving the Sams club on Wheatland.
The bed had a fiberglass toneau cover over it. When I passed them...I saw a large hispanic guy driving with a beer in his hand...a 300 pound hispanic woman in the passenger seat, and 3 kids in the back seat. It had bald street tires on it. I DOUBT this truck has ever been used as a farm truck unless carrying his COW wife around counts.

Stunter Bob
07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I am not 100% on this, but my cousin swears the seat belt laws do not pertain to farm tagged vehicles. I have witnessed him being pulled over for speeding and the officer not even mention the fact he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

03TruBluGT, MACHx2, KingJason, TannerM......... any knowledge of this?
A buddy of mine always swears this too. But hes an ignorant redneck most of the time so i take his advice in one ear and out the other.

fordracing19
08-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Ttt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2