400 modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 modified

My dad is looking at a coupe with a built 400 modified, it has some sort of aluminum heads, and adapter plates for the intake, 850 demon, solid lifter cam etc. We dont know a thing about these motors and was hoping someone on here might give us some insight on them. RPM range, block strength etc etc

I think it was on the other site awhile back its an orange 81 hatch with a 9'' possibly ntgearheads had it i cant remember exactly.

Thanks for any help
    81 LX
    82 GT

it's essentially a Cleveland top end with a Windsor 3" main bottom end and a big block transmission pattern... a bastard child of sorts and kinda not really worth building, BUT plenty capable of power and I would have to assume the block is friggin' stout
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I'm not a ford expert by any means but I know of some people who have used the 400m's to build motors out of and I read a couple articles where Jon Kasse used them to build some of the engine master motors. Everything I've heard is they are about as trong of a block as you can get and I know they have reall tall deck height.

Comment

I have heard mixed things on them aswell
        81 LX
        82 GT

Comment

The only problem should be the cast crank, and it shouldn't be a problem. Beyond that, they're stupid strong. New cranks are available at most NAPA's, and they're pretty cheap. I doubt he breaks it.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Some of them cracked heads a lot. Wouldn't mind some alum. Heads for mine.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

What I remember most about them, is all related to the heads/gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                What I remember most about them, is all related to the heads/gaskets.
                and oil pressure issues...

mostly brand new from ford back in the late 70's.

Comment

well this one is forged bottom end with chi aluminum heads, i know it has run 10.70's straight motor. We just never really hear anyone building them and theres not much info on the net. My dad wants to spray it....I think it should hold it

Thanks guys
                  81 LX
                  82 GT

Comment

Originally posted by lilvega View Post
                    and oil pressure issues...

mostly brand new from ford back in the late 70's.
                    Mid- '70's? My dad had a '75 LTD I learned to drive in. 400m. Blew both head gaskets while he was driving down the highway (Central Expressway) back in the day. The car was a year old.

Comment

They make power if you ditch everything but the shortblock.
                      Last edited by Jimbo; 11-29-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Is that guys name James. I think that's my old car. It has been around. The car made 450 on HPP's dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          it's essentially a Cleveland top end with a Windsor 3" main bottom end and a big block transmission pattern... a bastard child of sorts and kinda not really worth building, BUT plenty capable of power and I would have to assume the block is friggin' stout
                          Look at what won the Master motor builders competition over three times and is the current champ. A 400 Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
                            I'm not a ford expert by any means but I know of some people who have used the 400m's to build motors out of and I read a couple articles where Jon Kasse used them to build some of the engine master motors. Everything I've heard is they are about as trong of a block as you can get and I know they have reall tall deck height.
                            There is no such thing as a 400M. They were 400's and they destroked the 400 to make 350Ms, when Ford couldn't provide the 351W fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidd View Post
                              There is no such thing as a 400M. They were 400's and they destroked the 400 to make 350Ms, when Ford couldn't provide the 351W fast enough.
                              They are still commonly referred to as M block engines as M became the moniker for all the tall deck cleveland style blocks after the destroked 400 became widely used.

Comment

Working...
                              X