Safety Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Equipment

Suggestions on brands for harness, helmet and jacket? Looking at the RCI Cam lok 5 point. Jacket double layer and helmet, (have not decided on a particular brand) hell I just don't know. Respectful suggestions please.

As long as it's SFI certified you should be good.
    RCI makes good stuff. I would get everything no matter how fast you're going.
    Jacket, pants, gloves, shoes and for sure at the very least get you a neck collar. I highly recomend getting a Hans device but at the least a neck collar.

I've been rolling around and upside down in a car before and I promise you that if that happens you will glad you had everything.

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
      As long as it's SFI certified you should be good.
      RCI makes good stuff. I would get everything no matter how fast you're going.
      Jacket, pants, gloves, shoes and for sure at the very least get you a neck collar. I highly recomend getting a Hans device but at the least a neck collar.

I've been rolling around and upside down in a car before and I promise you that if that happens you will glad you had everything.
      How do you know what material and what certification to go with . There is nomex and cotton and different layers . I have the same questions and I don't want to buy something that I will have to upgrade to quickly . At the same time I don't have a funny car so I don't need a four layer fire suit . I would like something NHRA and IHRA legal for 9's in the 1/4 or 5's in the 1/8 and have no idea what to get and what is the most comfortable and easy to move in . Also , we are in TX and I don't want to bake in the staging lanes .
      Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Your going to bake either way in Texas, it comes with the territory unfortunately.

Comment

As far as fire suits go a -5 sfi suit will get you legal to 7.50 in the 1/4. You can either get it in nomex or Fire retardent cotton. Nomex is lighter and cooler than the cotton. But on the down side Nomex cost more. Gloves, shoes and neck collar are pretty much standard. Helmets well you can spend a ton on them but I like the G-force series of race helmets. What ever you do buy one you can try on before you buy. I have had some $600 helmets that I really hated and almost gve them away.

Comment

Man you just missed out. SafeRacer was having a 15% off sale a couple of days ago. I think the SA2000 helmets are going for pretty cheap right now too.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys .
              Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                Man you just missed out. SafeRacer was having a 15% off sale a couple of days ago. I think the SA2000 helmets are going for pretty cheap right now too.
                You do not wnt an SA2000 helmet. It will not be leagle but for another year or two. Get a 2005 at a minimum.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with going over kill on safety. As far baking in the summer, well it's going to happen no matter what you get. It actually get to a point that it's so freaking hot that you can't tell the differnce between a single layer or tripple layer suite.

Get you a NHRA rule book and see what is required for how ever fast you're going to be going and also keep in mind that as wih 99% of the racers out there that you're probably going to want to go faster later on so buy something that will cover future plans also.

Comment

Go to Smiley's if you are close to Mesquite or Kennedale and you can try on the helmets there. Find one you like and you might be able to save some money buying it online. When I got mine Smiley's was the same price as the online stores so I just got it there.

Just noticed you are in McKinney. Heck it may be closer for you to go to Sherman to check out the Smileys there?

I would also suggest getting one with the fire retardant liner vs a nylon liner too. Costs more but it's worth it.
                    Last edited by bobs94formula; 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM.
                    92 LX 5.0

Comment

So I am hearing G-Force for helmet and RCI for jacket and pants. I will def be getting the neck brace for sure. Thanks for some of the input, I was hoping a few more would speak up about what is worth it and what is not. I will check the rule books just the same. Just curious if one brand was preferred by most over another brand. Thanks again.

Comment

Email nhra tech and ask them. They told me I have to have a sfi 20 suit to run 4.70's with nitrous. Apparently nitrous makes a differance.

Comment

My RCI's held me in just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
                            My RCI's held me in just fine...
                            Nuff' said! Sent you a few texts, hope all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpillhaze View Post
                              So I am hearing G-Force for helmet and RCI for jacket and pants. I will def be getting the neck brace for sure. Thanks for some of the input, I was hoping a few more would speak up about what is worth it and what is not. I will check the rule books just the same. Just curious if one brand was preferred by most over another brand. Thanks again.
                              I would highly suggest not going with a cam lock belt system. Have seen a few over the years stick...would not want to be in a fire and that cam lock sticks. Traditional locking belt system, although simplistic and not as cool looking has a hard time sticking without rusting up.

Also like suggested I would make a trip to Smiley's and try on some helmets to see which ones you like. Everyone is different on helmet preferences. Sometimes their expensive but sometimes the most expensive one is the most comfortable. I got a simpson bandit simply because it was lighter than the "normal" style helmets and still had a big enough visor cut out for me to be able to see like an open face helmet. My old G-force helmet was heavy and uncomfortable and when rolling end over end the lighter the weight the less your neck has to strain(a neck brace will only do so much) the better.
                              3x NHRA/IHRA Division 4 Champion
                              www.heathensracing.com

Competition Sales of Dallas
                              Mothers Polish and Waxes
                              Mickey Thompson Tires
                              Champion Racing Oils
                              MaxCackle Photos

"I bleed red, white, blue, and a little bit of E85"

Comment

Working...
                              X