School Me on Buffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Me on Buffing

I recently purchased a Ford Ranger and the hood has quite a bit of oxidation. I have always wanted to learn to buff a car so I figured what better place to learn than on this truck. If I screw it up, its not on an ultra expensive truck and if its that bad I can always have it repainted.

With that being said, I am not sure what I need to get this going. I am going to pick up a polisher from Harbor Freight tomorrow but not sure what I need as far as rubbing/polishing compounds(if I even need that abrasive) or if I just need to clay it and then give it some wax. If I can get the hood looking decent id like to do the entire truck.

I am looking for opinions, advice and recommendations.
    TIA
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

pictures first silly ass!
    sigpic

Comment

Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

You don't need to buff it that's satin paint!

J/k

Comment

Start reading:

Comment

When I've gone to HF looking for variable speed polishers, the either didn't have them, or they sold polishers in packaging that advertised it to be VS, but turned out to be single speed.

You want a variable speed.
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Alright... So I just clayed, compounded, polished and waxed my hood. I got rid of the watermarks and swirls but the oxidation is still there. So in other words, the hood looks pretty much like it did before minus a few swirls and watermarks... I don't know what the cause is. I am thinking either a) i wasn't applying enough pressure/high enough rpm, or b) the compound I was using wasn't enough, or c) both. OR it could be the pad I was using for compound/polish.

I used a compound that came in a kit from Meguiars so I don't know how abrassive it is. The speed, I honestly don't know. It is a 200- 3500 rpm polisher I believe, and I was on setting 3-3.5 so I am guessing 1500 or so RPMs. As far as pressure, I felt like I was applying a shit load after I saw that there was no progress.

I used a sponge like pad for the compound and a wool for the polish. The hood looks shinny and ok, but is still dull, and I was hoping with 3 hours of ass beating I would get it looking like the rest of the truck...

Opinions????!

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                I don't want to go to another site. We have a detailing forum here and I was hoping to get advice here, not somewhere else. If I posted something in The Garage would you refer me to ask another car forum? I would hope not...

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                  Alright... So I just clayed, compounded, polished and waxed my hood. I got rid of the watermarks and swirls but the oxidation is still there. So in other words, the hood looks pretty much like it did before minus a few swirls and watermarks... I don't know what the cause is. I am thinking either a) i wasn't applying enough pressure/high enough rpm, or b) the compound I was using wasn't enough, or c) both. OR it could be the pad I was using for compound/polish.

I used a compound that came in a kit from Meguiars so I don't know how abrassive it is. The speed, I honestly don't know. It is a 200- 3500 rpm polisher I believe, and I was on setting 3-3.5 so I am guessing 1500 or so RPMs. As far as pressure, I felt like I was applying a shit load after I saw that there was no progress.

I used a sponge like pad for the compound and a wool for the polish. The hood looks shinny and ok, but is still dull, and I was hoping with 3 hours of ass beating I would get it looking like the rest of the truck...

Opinions????!

I bought a harbor freight Chicago variable speed buffer with a digital display for cheap and it works great. Although I use wool for my compound and foam for polish. That paint looks like a one stage, is there any clear coat on it? You don't need much speed for compounding and you should see results right away. If not then you need to work your surface a little more. But that paint looks flat, or no clear coat. I dunno, need more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    I bought a harbor freight Chicago variable speed buffer with a digital display for cheap and it works great. Although I use wool for my compound and foam for polish. That paint looks like a one stage, is there any clear coat on it? You don't need much speed for compounding and you should see results right away. If not then you need to work your surface a little more. But that paint looks flat, or no clear coat. I dunno, need more pictures.
                    I picked up the variable speed buffer right under yours for $34. Basically same thing just minus the digital display.

I have been watching/reading a bit more and I think I used the wrong pads at the wrong time. I still don't think the compound I have is enough but who knows.

The hood does have clear. It seems like the 'oxidation' is right where the heat from the engine is coming from so maybe its not oxidation and it cant be repaired. Along the grill and sides near the fenders are pretty shiney and that is where I can see the swirls/watermarks gone from.

Comment

Compound with the white wool pad and polish with the yellow foam and if needed with the white in the buff-n-shine line(3m is different). If the hood is slick, no texture, and does not shine after buffing with the wool pad and an agressive compound it is not going to. maby basecoat w/ no clear. does the pad have color on it after you buff?

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                        Compound with the white wool pad and polish with the yellow foam and if needed with the white in the buff-n-shine line(3m is different). If the hood is slick, no texture, and does not shine after buffing with the wool pad and an agressive compound it is not going to. maby basecoat w/ no clear. does the pad have color on it after you buff?
                        I used a foam pad for the compound (first mistake) and it had a color to it but I don't think it was color from the paint. When I used the polish with the wool pad it had no color and I didn't see any new swirl marks.

I may try some tomorrow with the wool just to see if that was it.

Are there different firmness of pads I need to be aware of? Or is wool wool and foam is foam?

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                          I used a foam pad for the compound (first mistake) and it had a color to it but I don't think it was color from the paint. When I used the polish with the wool pad it had no color and I didn't see any new swirl marks.

I may try some tomorrow with the wool just to see if that was it.

Are there different firmness of pads I need to be aware of? Or is wool wool and foam is foam?
                          Yes there are different firmness or abrasiveness in the pads. I wish I took more pics of my fresh paint job I just wet sanded and compound polished. I wet sanded with 1000-1500-2000 used 3M Compound ($45 bottle) and a white wool pad, then fine foam pad and 3m spray on polish. Worked perfectly. I could get the part #'s if needed.

sdun is right on, your hood looks like it lost its finish. If the compound can't bring out a shine then you're toast. No more clear. Time to repaint.

Comment

Mike, since you're so close to me, why don't you just drop by the house and let me take a look at what you're working on. Then I can help you figure out a method to finish it up.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by waxman View Post
                              Mike, since you're so close to me, why don't you just drop by the house and let me take a look at what you're working on. Then I can help you figure out a method to finish it up.

Nick
                              I could stop by after work. I really appreciate it. I must say though, I got fed up with it and didn't finish so its going to look half as backwards job. I will call you around the time I get off..

Comment

Working...
                              X