Lemons gurus and 2.3Turbo lovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemons gurus and 2.3Turbo lovers

talk me out of this car....sure it's 1200 bucks but I could make it LOOK like $500.....

Discuss....

Do it.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Well, while I like the fact it came with a 22 gallon cell stock...so i could run our monster cell in chump, the 3200lb curb weight kills it. Even with my ability to get shit light, I am still looking at 2600lbs most likely.... Then brakes and shit are going to get expensive. I should have bought that bumped white fairmont wagon a while back. I really don't need a 4th race car right now though! LOL!!!

Comment

you can pull a SHIT LOAD of weight out of those cars!!!

the fucking wiring behind the dash weighs 100lbs
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

It's still a foxbody, and MUCH of that extra 1K pounds is sound deadener, wiring, seats, etc. You can get it just as light as my coupe, probely much lighter... . The torque curve with the turbo 4 would be fun, but its within a few pounds of a 5 liter.

Why not go for 03 cobra brakes? Ours stops really well with them, and we are using regulr 6cyl rears.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I wouldn't even mess with a 2.3 turbo on a lemons budget unless you are already very familair with the 2.3t platform. It could be made to live, but it would probably be over the money limit. Maybe build a ghetto exhaust manifold to put the turbo up high outside the hood and run an actual small car radiator up on the roof piped with pvc for the intercooler. That car is not at a price that I would even be tempted to pull the trigger on for a lemons/chump project. I've got it in my head that a 2wd 5spd cherokee with the 4.0HO would be a beast, but I have no room in the garage to prove my point right now...

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
              I wouldn't even mess with a 2.3 turbo on a lemons budget unless you are already very familair with the 2.3t platform. It could be made to live, but it would probably be over the money limit. Maybe build a ghetto exhaust manifold to put the turbo up high outside the hood and run an actual small car radiator up on the roof piped with pvc for the intercooler. That car is not at a price that I would even be tempted to pull the trigger on for a lemons/chump project. I've got it in my head that a 2wd 5spd cherokee with the 4.0HO would be a beast, but I have no room in the garage to prove my point right now...
              whatever this man says? GOSPEL!

I love 2.3t's, but never seen any turbo car succeed in Lemons

seriously, this guy is a Lemons pimp
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

they are super fun engines, I am obsessed with them. But as Ford learned when they took the svo to Nuremberg and blew two head gaskets without setting a lap time, they are not endurance engines.
                But a nasty carbed 2.3l with a cam can be fun, and will run forever

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                  they are super fun engines, I am obsessed with them. But as Ford learned when they took the svo to Nuremberg and blew two head gaskets without setting a lap time, they are not endurance engines.
                  But a nasty carbed 2.3l with a cam can be fun, and will run forever
                  That's where I think our project is heading in 2012.... We've pile up so many 2.3 spares come hell or high water we are going to get one setup that will actually make some decent HP/TQ. There are dirt track folks that mill the shit out of the heads to get the static CR way up, run a controlled fuel leak, HEI ignition conversion, and wind them out to 7500-8000rpm.

Comment

Ok, I'll bite. Does anyone have real info on why the early 84(?) would not last at Nurburgring? I'm interested in running mine in bborr and really want to know if Ford made changes by 86 that will allow mine to run sustained boost for 59 miles, or what specifically I need to address to make sure it does?

I don't know about lemons, but I'd be interested in digging deeper, and I have some 2.3 turbo parts.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

i think the biggest thing that killed the cars back in the 80's Nurburgring run was the tune.....seriously.

A 2.3 could be built to withstand endurance racing, but ALOT of thought needs to go into it...Also Not alot of boost. iron head and high temps don;t work well together for endurance racing.

Trust me i love 2.3t's but i honestly don't think it would be worth the effort to set one up for endurance racing... IT has been done with great success but not on a lemons budget..

IF you decide that you really want to go this way, then i suggest youn start reading up on how to tune the engine for E85.. on E85 it will survive and make goo power... Of course that 22 gal fuel cell won't help you any... E85 2.3's generally use around 40-45% more fuel... this is the nature of E85.

Comment

Working...
                      X