real quick brake question 2001 gt. fast accurate responses appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real quick brake question 2001 gt. fast accurate responses appreciated

on the rear just replaced rotors and brake pads and right as im bolting the last bolt, i realize the old pads had little metal clips on the end of 3 pads. ( iguess one lost them)
    the new pads are the ceramic expensive ones and the bod didnt have these clips in them. do i need to undo it and put them on or are they fine without them?
    mind you even if i undo them and put the old clips i have on, i will still have to button the car up drive home and tommorrow go to the parts store and get additional ones since i was missing some.

Clips or wear markers?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Or

These.

Comment

thanks i save all but one clip it was mia. ill get down tommorrow and pick up that kit

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
          thanks i save all but one clip it was mia. ill get down tommorrow and pick up that kit
          "anti-rattle clips" is the common term. Brake hardware is the parts store term.

You need them to keep the pad in place on the caliper, so it doesn't go hay wire when it touches the rotor.

Comment

brakes were kinda a bitch by the way but glad i got it done. one pad was all the way gone and the other three looked decent. what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
              brakes were kinda a bitch by the way but glad i got it done. one pad was all the way gone and the other three looked decent. what gives?
              Caliper sticking...

Comment

Originally posted by donnie90stang View Post
                Caliper sticking...
                Yup, car wasn't pulling to one side?

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                  Yup, car wasn't pulling to one side?
                  Probably wouldn't notice it so much on the rear.

Comment

Don't remove the parking brake spring from the bottom of the caliper. I did and it took 6 hours to get one of them back on.
                    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                    Originally posted by Trick Pony
                    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

caliper pin sticking most likely if only one pad was affected. When you go to put the hardware back on, make sure the pins(where the caliper bolts to) will slide in and out with a fluid motion. You most likely have one or both on that side that is frozen. They offer caliper pin grease at the parts store also.

Comment

yeah i didnt mess with the parking brake springs. yeah ill bolted it all up last night and drove home. today ill get the hardware kit for the one anti rattle clip im missing and lube up the pins. should be good then.

Comment

Working...
                        X