iphone directly to amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iphone directly to amp?

Trying to get a boat project finished and it needs all new stereo equipment but I want to save some cash and just use an Ipod cable directly to the amp. has anyone on here done it successfully?

I have read that volume control may be an issue. I was thinking of using a cheap ipod $20 amp that has volume in series with the car amp I am installing.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
    Trying to get a boat project finished and it needs all new stereo equipment but I want to save some cash and just use an Ipod cable directly to the amp. has anyone on here done it successfully?

I have read that volume control may be an issue. I was thinking of using a cheap ipod $20 amp that has volume in series with the car amp I am installing.
    i would just try and get an amp with low level inputs and just take a stereo cable and wire it to the low level input. the if that doesn't work go for the amp thing.

Comment

You can definitely connect an IPOD directly to an amp with a headphone to rca cable. The IPOD volume will control the sound just fine. Just don't connect the ipod with the volume turned up or the speakers will thump loudly.

Comment

You can't connect the ipod to an amp through the av connector on the bottom in most cases - you wont have volume control then. It will be stuck at half volume.

Comment

I'm using my droid as a tuner/mp3 player right now by just plugging it into an amp. The output is well under 1 volt so you have to crank the gains pretty good, which means if you have lots of noise it'll also be amplified as well. Just make sure the amp is grounded properly and you use a decent set of cables and you should be fine.

Comment

it will work fine but i would find a cheap head unit. the impedence and voltages dont fall in line with an amp's specs.

also, i would use the dock connector, not the headphone jack.
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
              it will work fine but i would find a cheap head unit. the impedence and voltages dont fall in line with an amp's specs.

also, i would use the dock connector, not the headphone jack.
              this is what i would do, get a cheap head unit, itll save you the annoying ground noise coming from your speakers

Comment

You can use the iSimple dock connector IS76 so the ipod is charging and sounds better and add the JL Audio CL-RLC for the volume control. It is a 4V line driver w/a knob. $45+69=head unit

-OR-
                Alpine CDE-121 less than $100, includes ipod cord

Comment

Working...
                X