Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Where to find this? - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find this?

I need a tool like this

To make two D-Shape holes like this

Note the size I need is the 24 pin (larger of the two measurements)

So I can mount this.............. in the firewall

Does anyone have any idea? The tool pictured is WAY too expensive for the two holes I need to make.

Any ideas on make a clean cut likt that in the firewall without a tool like pictured above?
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Where's your break even point on cleanliness vs pain-in-the-ass?

You could always have a piece of sheetmetal lasercut with that exact pattern then weld that piece into the firewall.

Comment

Looking for GREENLEE, 14 ga Sheet Metal Capacity (Steel), Knockout Punch and Die Kit? Find it at Grainger.comŽ. With over one million products and 24/7 customer service we have supplies and solutions for every industry.
      JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Where's your break even point on cleanliness vs pain-in-the-ass?

You could always have a piece of sheetmetal lasercut with that exact pattern then weld that piece into the firewall.
        If I can get a plate low enough in the tunnel I might not even have to weld it. I can rivet it in place.

The right tool would be too nice though. I have a few weeks to work with before I need it but I can not imagine paying $530 for a new one just to use twice.

Comment

Thanks James. I searched Grainger, Ebay, Yahoo, Amazon and I can not find the size I need. That one you list is about 1/2 the size of my connectors at 1.69"x1.63"

Comment

You could manually make the hole with a good file set. It would take some work but would save you alot of money
            JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

i can make that hole no problem. i do it all the time in elec boxes. but for a firewall app i would drill the hole size then just weld the flat side back on and grind it
              first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by JamesB View Post
                You could manually make the hole with a good file set. It would take some work but would save you alot of money
                Drill to the largest inside diameter, stencil in outline and file or grind to meet the stencil? That is one method I am considering. I have a couple good Dremels and tons of different bits.

I could always drill the largest insdie diameter, stencil in outline and carfully punch a small drill bit just inside of the outline and file the peaks for a final fit.

What is the consensus?

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                  i can make that hole no problem. i do it all the time in elec boxes. but for a firewall app i would drill the hole size then just weld the flat side back on and grind it
                  I am trying to avoid the welder and body work afterwards.

Comment

Do a search for metal fab tools. They make all styles and sizes. I use them when I am fabricating custom sheet metal parts. Here is one

http://www.americanpunchco.com/punch_die_options.htmoptions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by gravygraber View Post
                      Do a search for metal fab tools. They make all styles and sizes. I use them when I am fabricating custom sheet metal parts. Here is one

http://www.americanpunchco.com/punch_die_options.htmoptions.htm
                      Thanks for the link to these guys I have been trying to find and Oval punch to do 1/2 x 1 inch hole.

Comment

I called Deutsch and they have a loaner tool that I can use. = Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X