pre wiring new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre wiring new home

we're building a new home and have a chance to pre wire whatever i need. I want to do it right and have a few questions. I'm gonna have all the flat panel tv's on the walls. I'm gonna have the electrical outlets placed mid wall for those. But what do you do to overcome the needed cable box? It seems dumb to hang a plasma nice and neat on the wall, but then still need the ugly cable box below it. And then one for each tv in every room. Is there anyway to have all the tv's wired to ONE hidden cable box/dvr and ONE blu-ray player?
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Most wall mounts include a place for the box or I've seen people set it on the back of the mount. Just put the cable outlet near the electrical (horizontally even).

Comment

You could consider centrally locating all of you cable boxes in a closet and purchasing IR extender kits and long HDMI cables. This is what I did for my living room. Find a closet in the middle of the house and just make sure there is an electrical outlet in the closet.
      sigpic

Comment

Have Clockworkss come wire it for you.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

let a professional do it, save the headache and cost when you have to retro something in later
          innovative media solutions
          blake 817-991-9473
          2006 Civic SI
          2009 Pilot
          1988 GT
          CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

man just get 4 cat-5 cables and one 16-4 cable to each location and youll be fine

Comment

Having done this for a living for 2 years and a hobby for 3 more. I would suggest this:

Have a dedicated media closet somewhere in the home as stated before. Home run all you room locations to this one location. Make sure the closet is well ventilated and has numerous dedicated electrical outlets with good grounding as well!

Run a minimum of 3 cat6 wires to each location. I say this because you can run the video baluns(sp?) on 2 of them as well as carry digital audio and IR. Then have the 3rd for ethernet should you want a game console locally. If you plan on using HDMI over component I would then go ahead and run the HDMI cables as well.

Next spend the money and save the time now to pre-wire every room with a 16/4 and just leave it coiled up in the ceiling for future use. Then pre wire your rooms where you are going to have a TV for; 5.1, 7.1, 5.2, or 7.2 depending on your plans. I personally would run both a coaxial and 16/4 to each sub location.

Lastly if you plan to have a wireless home network or home automation/control system; I would find the best location(s) for coverage and pre wire those as well.

You can also use this central closet for the security system, as well as a home surveillance central point, and lighting control, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                Have Clockworkss come wire it for you.
                F that man, it's too hot for this ninja to be pulling wire.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                  F that man, it's too hot for this ninja to be pulling wire.
                  lol nothing like 140 degrees in an attic on a hot summer day and pink itcy insulation all over you

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                    lol nothing like 140 degrees in an attic on a hot summer day and pink itcy insulation all over you
                    Jesus i sure don't miss those days. best time i had was re-wiring James Freeman's home, nothing like running wire under the house in a climate controlled bat cave!

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                      Jesus i sure don't miss those days. best time i had was re-wiring James Freeman's home, nothing like running wire under the house in a climate controlled bat cave!
                      Lol fun times indeed...Nothing tops me alost burning down Mark Cuban's house when we swapped out the Lutron lighting control and I somehow arced a wire and couldn't get it off. Luckily a little smoke and the fire alarm later, and a tripped breaker kept it all from going up in smoke

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                        Lol fun times indeed...Nothing tops me alost burning down Mark Cuban's house when we swapped out the Lutron lighting control and I somehow arced a wire and couldn't get it off. Luckily a little smoke and the fire alarm later, and a tripped breaker kept it all from going up in smoke
                        lol oh damn hahaha i can only imagine you trying to get that wire off of there! that stuff will melt/fuse together fast if the run back to the breaker is far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                          lol oh damn hahaha i can only imagine you trying to get that wire off of there! that stuff will melt/fuse together fast if the run back to the breaker is far enough.
                          The closets were the Lutron RPM's were and the breakers were about 100' apart seperate by a couple rooms and down the hall from each other. I used an insulated screw driver and the pry method; while my co worker sprinted down the hall in his lil shoe booties they make you where in the high end homes, slip sliding the whole way to reach the breaker. Luckily the lutron breakers were seperate from all the other breakers in the house and he his the main switch pole in the box. I am sure we were only a few seconds from the fire sprinklers going off

Comment

Working...
                          X