Fired up the smoker at the new place yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired up the smoker at the new place yesterday

So I decided to fire up the new smoker yesterday after moving all weekend.

Here's the new smoker:

So I prepped some ribs and chicken. Ribs are spare ribs, and got a light coat of yellow mustard, then some off the shelf Stubbs Rub:

The chicken was marinaded in Stubbs chicken marinade overnight, then coated with the same Stubbs Rub:

Finally I made a spray for the ribs and chicken using 1792 Bourbon, ginger ale, apple juice, and water:

I see before pics, but where are the afters. I just fired up my smoker and I'm about to load it up.

Comment

I fired up the smoker using Mesquite Lump Charcoal, then added Hickory wood chunks. I need to find a good place here for my wood supply. I got a nice dual probe thermometer to use:

The ribs did two hours uncovered and untouched at about 250-275 degrees:

Before I wrapped them, I gave them a good spray of my special mixture, then a little squeeze margarine, and another dose of rub. I wrapped them up in foil and let them continue to cook at 250-275 degrees. I unwrapped the ribs, and drained the juice from the foil, then added the chicken breasts to the smoker too. I started glazing the ribs every 15-20 minutes uncovered with Stubbs bourbon mesquite sauce:

I let the ribs and chicken cook for a little over an hour like this, and then I moved the chicken to the firebox for the last 10 minutes as I glazed the chicken with the same sauce. Here's a shot of the ribs done:

Comment

Here's another shot of the chicken breast:

And one of the smoke ring on a rib:

And here's a finished pic of the platter ready to server the folks, with a glass of 1792 and Ginger Ale for good measure:

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
          I see before pics, but where are the afters. I just fired up my smoker and I'm about to load it up.
          I was still posting them.

Comment

Brine your chicken breast. Makes a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Brine your chicken breast. Makes a world of difference.
              I've used a brine, hell I've brined a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, but for chicken breasts off the bone, overnight in a good marinade will do pretty much the same thing, as they usually contain salt and sugar in the marinades.

If you've never used the stubbs marinade, by itself without anything else on it, it's the best marinade for chicken hands down, no ifs ands or buts.

I have a bottle of Salt Lick Rub that i'm gonna try the next go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                I've used a brine, hell I've brined a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, but for chicken breasts off the bone, overnight in a good marinade will do pretty much the same thing, as they usually contain salt and sugar in the marinades.

If you've never used the stubbs marinade, by itself without anything else on it, it's the best marinade for chicken hands down, no ifs ands or buts.

I have a bottle of Salt Lick Rub that i'm gonna try the next go around.
                Stubbs marinade is great stuff. I also use a rub called chicken tickler, and for ribs I use rib tickler. Not sure who the company is off the top of my head.

Comment

Awesome thread Matt! We need more "how to" threads like this one for newbies like myself wanting to learn how to do this.

Comment

1792.. my fav
                    first class white trash

Comment

Rib question, do you guys take off the skin on the back?

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                        1792.. my fav
                        definately one of my favorites as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          Rib question, do you guys take off the skin on the back?
                          always remove it, if not it makes the rib tough.

For those that haven't, or don't know how:

Best way to do it, is flip the ribs over, so they are bone side up, get a spoon with a flat back, and cut a small slit over the last bone with a knice, insernt the spoon under the skin, and slide down the rib, pulling slightly up on it until you have enough membrane to grab onto. Then grab the skin and hold the ribs down under the already removed skin, and pull towards the other end of the ribs.

once you've tried it a few times, it's really easy after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            always remove it, if not it makes the rib tough.
                            I did my first two sets with them on a couple of weeks ago. It did suck getting the meat off. The meat was perfect, it was just the seperation that sucked.

1 thing I have learned through this new experience, DONT LISTEN TO MY WIFE.

Everytime I discuss what I am going to do, she says "well my dad did it this way" and it turns out wrong.

I smoked some chicken and was about to take off the skin when she said, my dad didn't do that growing up.....ok. WRONG

I smoked the ribs and said I was taking off the skin on the back and she says, My dad didn't do that growing up....ok. WRONG

I have to use every ounce of my being to not tell her her dad was WRONG!

Comment

Stubs moppin sauce is the shit!
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X