Issue loading .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue loading .308

So I have been having issues with loading .308 for my Savage 111 (long action) for a while and cant figure it out.

I'm using Hornady New Dimension carbide dies on a Lyman Spar-T press. All of my .308 brass is once or twice fired by me in this rifle only (its my only .308).

The issue is when I put a round in the chamber, the bolt has a VERY tough time locking and unlocking, so much so that I have to use the scope for leverage to open the bolt or close it. It does not do this with factory loads. I also tried putting a sized but not seated case in and it has the same issue. My resize die is all the way flush against the shell holder when the handle is cammed over so there is no room for me to move the shoulder down. The brass is in spec for length too. I'm at a loss here. Obviously its something with the sizer die since it has the issue even without a bullet in the brass, but I cant figure it out. I tried using a sharpie to color the brass and there really is nowhere that is apparent it is rubbing.

Is it crimped properly? Is the bullet too far out of the case? You should never, ever, ever fire a round that loads like this. Also, that's pretty tough on your bolt lugs forcing them closed like that. Believe you me, you'll lose headspace doing that for very long at all.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      Is it crimped properly? Is the bullet too far out of the case? You should never, ever, ever fire a round that loads like this. Also, that's pretty tough on your bolt lugs forcing them closed like that. Believe you me, you'll lose headspace doing that for very long at all.
      I wasn't crimping it since its a bolt action. Bullet is seated fine

Comment

Tried crimping it for grins, no difference in performance. C.O.L. is within limits and appears to be the same as my factory loads in every dimension I can measure with my calipers (accurately)

Comment

Then that is fucking weird. Does the brass need to be trimmed?
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            Then that is fucking weird. Does the brass need to be trimmed?
            Nope, still about .009 under max, just over trim length. Yes its way fucking wierd...

Comment

I'd call Hornady. They are great to deal with.

It has to be the die or its not set up correctly. Have you put the rounds in a headspace gauge?

Comment

That's pretty crazy. It could be something with the dies i'd say. But as you said if they're almost exactly identical in every way to factory loads I have no clue. My buddy has a .308 that will only take Winchester white box. If he shoots anything else he has exactly the same problems you're having. Bolt hard to close and open as well as pulling back the bolt to extract the bullet.

Comment

I'm starting to think it might be the shell holder being too thick not letting the die go down far enough

Comment

I'd deff try a Hornady shell holder.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                      So I have been having issues with loading .308 for my Savage 111 (long action) for a while and cant figure it out.

I'm using Hornady New Dimension carbide dies on a Lyman Spar-T press. All of my .308 brass is once or twice fired by me in this rifle only (its my only .308).

The issue is when I put a round in the chamber, the bolt has a VERY tough time locking and unlocking, so much so that I have to use the scope for leverage to open the bolt or close it. It does not do this with factory loads. I also tried putting a sized but not seated case in and it has the same issue. My resize die is all the way flush against the shell holder when the handle is cammed over so there is no room for me to move the shoulder down. The brass is in spec for length too. I'm at a loss here. Obviously its something with the sizer die since it has the issue even without a bullet in the brass, but I cant figure it out. I tried using a sharpie to color the brass and there really is nowhere that is apparent it is rubbing.
                      Go out and buy the RCBS Small Base Die for the .308 Win.

Some rifles require small base dies for reloading.

Comment

Like he said above, a small base sizer die - but those are almost exclusively for semi-auto rifles. I personally do not use any and I only load for semi-autos. Also, it is not that uncommon to have to grind the head on your sizing die to let it come down lower. I had to do this on my Dillon .223 dies, and my Dillon .308 die contacts the shell plate. I'm hoping you have a go/no-go gauge to check your sizing. That is the only way you will know for sure if your sizing die is not adjusted correctly. Your caliper isn't going to do shit for headspace.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post

You ever get your issue solved? I am having the same damn issue right now, I'm going through trying to figure out how to solve the issue. If you did fix it what did you do since I am using the same die and gun you are?

Comment

Originally posted by blownaltered View Post
                            You ever get your issue solved? I am having the same damn issue right now, I'm going through trying to figure out how to solve the issue. If you did fix it what did you do since I am using the same die and gun you are?
                            I'm willing to bet that he took some or all of CJ's advice from the post above yours. It really sounded like an issue with the sizing die to me.
                            04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                            There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

This applies to everyone above... if you do not have an LE Wilson case gauge STOP reloading rifle rounds now, and get one. You can't know what you're doing without one of these gauges. They are essential.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X