Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a new HDTV for the bedroom and need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a new HDTV for the bedroom and need help...

We have Dish Network and the HD receiver is in our living room. We got the new TV for our bedroom, but we do not have HDMI cable running to it-can we do that so we can get a decent picture? Because right now, it looks like shit.

Do they make cable that long or is there a better, more cost-effective way to do this??

Thanks for the help..
    Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
    Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
    Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
    You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

How long is the length? I bought 2, 25' HDMI cables from ebay for like $13 shipped a while back when I hung a tv over someones firepace. If it is a super long run look into something like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-Extender-...item2c5de68def

it will adapt a piece of cat6 wire to transfer the signal up to about 98 feet. Cat 6 wire is way cheaper than hdmi of the same length. You can buy the length cat6 cable on ebay as well for super cheap.

Comment

It's going to have to be at least 100', maybe longer...and we only have 1 HDMI out on the satellite receiver.
      Last edited by Leah; 08-27-2011, 03:02 PM.
      Token Split Tail

You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

I don't know of another solution then, other than getting a separate box for the bedroom.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

100' HDMI Cable is about $65, about the cost of a 6' cable from best buy

Comment

Are you trying to connect it to the same Dish receiver that your living room TV uses? Are you sure it's a dual HD tuner? Most I've seen have HD + SD. If that's the case, even with HDMI, the picture will still suck. You probably need a separate Dish HD receiver. Then you can run a short HDMI and be done.

Comment

One of our installers bought some monoprice HDMI extenders for his house and it works so far.

Here's what he used:http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

They do require 2 cable runs in between the two locations, but it's CAT5e/CAT6 Ethernet cable instead of a pricey HDMI cable.

I personally haven't seen it in action, but I trust his assessment. (He's picky and frugal -if it was giving him problems it would have been returned already)

Comment

Rent an hd box for 8 bucks a month.

Comment

Yeah, figured out we just have to get another box. No biggie, but now we can't watch the shows we have recorded on either TV. We'll have to set it to record the same shows. Oh well...Better than watching a crappy TV.
                  Token Split Tail

Comment

Leah ~ If you have the same DISH box I have it has dual tuners. Tuner #2 wired through a diplexer to whatever second room you chose when the installer was there. It's operated by the supplied UHF radio remote. You don't want to run HDMI 100 ft. without repeaters. You will have handshake issues and other problems with long cable throws. It shouldn't be necessary.

I skimmed through the thread, so I maybe be repeating what's already been said.

Comment

Eventually they'll offer the sling extender they've been showing off for two years. If you have any kind of a HTPC you can get Dish's sling adapter for $99 and stream through the PC either with sling's service or dishonline.com. Dishonline kicks ass, the site itself is still a little buggy but their on demand offerings are ridiculous.

You can see your sling connected DVR through the website or watch live TV on the tuner, or stream any of their on demand offerings. Also if you have them on a wifi network your iphone or droid can be used as a remote control from anywhere on the network.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                        Leah ~ If you have the same DISH box I have it has dual tuners. Tuner #2 wired through a diplexer to whatever second room you chose when the installer was there. It's operated by the supplied UHF radio remote. You don't want to run HDMI 100 ft. without repeaters. You will have handshake issues and other problems with long cable throws. It shouldn't be necessary.

I skimmed through the thread, so I maybe be repeating what's already been said.
                        Pretty much what they said and that I need a separate box for the new one. They are coming Thursday to hook it all up. Thanks
                        Originally posted by BP View Post
                        Eventually they'll offer the sling extender they've been showing off for two years. If you have any kind of a HTPC you can get Dish's sling adapter for $99 and stream through the PC either with sling's service or dishonline.com. Dishonline kicks ass, the site itself is still a little buggy but their on demand offerings are ridiculous.

You can see your sling connected DVR through the website or watch live TV on the tuner, or stream any of their on demand offerings. Also if you have them on a wifi network your iphone or droid can be used as a remote control from anywhere on the network.
                        I don't understand a thing you just said.
                        Token Split Tail

Comment

I didn't know you could afford a new tv!

P.S. please don't respond with anything witty, as I rarely come to this part of the forum!
                          Last edited by Mike; 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leah View Post
                            I don't understand a thing you just said.
                            Slingbox is cool, Dish offers a really cheap adapter. You'd need a PC but you could connect and playing anything on your DVR or receiver through the PC, which you could connect to the TV. Eventually Dish is going to offer a set top box that they'll call a Sling "extender" which will serve the same purpose as the PC but much smaller and less complicated to setup. Some TVs already have the capability, my Samsung runs Android for example and the same app that I use on my cell phone would allow my TV to play content over the Sling system if it were modified to do so. Or if my phone had an HDMI port I could plug it directly into the TV and hit the Sling system.

It's easier just to add a receiver though so you should probably stick with that plan.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              Slingbox is cool, Dish offers a really cheap adapter. You'd need a PC but you could connect and playing anything on your DVR or receiver through the PC, which you could connect to the TV. Eventually Dish is going to offer a set top box that they'll call a Sling "extender" which will serve the same purpose as the PC but much smaller and less complicated to setup. Some TVs already have the capability, my Samsung runs Android for example and the same app that I use on my cell phone would allow my TV to play content over the Sling system if it were modified to do so. Or if my phone had an HDMI port I could plug it directly into the TV and hit the Sling system.

It's easier just to add a receiver though so you should probably stick with that plan.
                              I had dishnetwork out a few weeks ago, and they plugged up something to a power outlet and connected to my router. The tech said it will let me pay for pay per view when I want it. Is that the slingbox?

Comment

Working...
                              X